Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe92019

Can Echeveria plants be in the hot sun all day long?

joe92019
9 years ago

I got somewhat of a large area that I'd like to plant with all kinds of echeveria. However, this area is in the hot sun all day every day. Will echeveria plants survive or should I re-consider?

Thanks,
Joe
San Diego

Comments (19)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The ones with the glaucous (whitish) covering will do best, but speaking of best, your best bet, if I may, would be Dudleyas.Many of them are native and their growth cycle is tuned to San Diego's rainfall - you'll almost never need to water them because they're dormant in the summer. Many of the species are also farinaceous (having that whitish coating) - those are the ones I'd recommend.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 22:38

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

How far inland from the ocean are you?

• joe92019
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cactusmcharris - Thank you for the recommendation. Though to be honest, I can't tell the difference between echeveria and dudleyas :)

hoovb - I'm about a half hour drive from the ocean.

• KentLC
    9 years ago

In both CA native books I have as well as at the Theodore Payne Soc nursery they recommend that dudleyas get some afternoon shade in the hotter inland valleys. I have some areas I'd like to plant with them but they get direct SW sun all day and I wonder if they will do OK there.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

can't possibly list all the echeverias.. some do great in full, hot sun... others do terribly. What do yours look like?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I'm about a half hour drive from the ocean.

Generally speaking, (with outliers excepted as lzrddr says), too far inland for best results in all day/afternoon sun. Give morning sun (at most) for best results (beauty).

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Here are some Echeveria agavoides hybrids in full, all day sun inland

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Here's some more all day Echeverias⦠those in full sun all day do tend to have some spectacular, though 'stress' coloration.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

and of course the white ones like E cante (above) and E colorata Mexican giant do fine in full all day inland sun

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

These Echeveria pallidas obviously have no problem in all day sun, either (though of course this is a cloudy day)

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Echeveria potosinas in all day sun (think this is just a form of Echeveria elegans now)

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Echeveria pumilas in all day sun (again, cloudy day shot)

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

my own Echeveria subrigida in nearly all day sun (gets a break at about 4pm)

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

And here is my Dudleya brittonii in full all day super inland (desert) sun⦠likes it until about July⦠then it curls in on itself, only to pop back out this time of year like nothing ever happened to it.

• joe92019
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the info and beautiful pics Izrddr. Are all these from your home?

I love your Echeveria pumilas. They would go nicely with my home's color. Do they turn more pinkish the more sun they get or less water they get? I also like your Echeveria subrigida...

I wish we were neighbors. I'd be your first customer :)

Joe

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Fabulous plants lzzrdr, do they get irrigation? Is the difference that mine get no summer water?

full sun no irrigation:
    {{gwi:2127187}}
    full sun with irrigation:
    {{gwi:2127188}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

deleted double post

This post was edited by hoovb on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 11:56

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I have Echeveria imbricata in full sun here, and they did fry initially⦠but fine now. No change in watering, though I do tend to water stuff, even if not asking for it

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!