Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on my Thanksgiving Cacti

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 22:56

Hi to those that helped me with my TC last week.. unfortuanlly, the one w/no roots, nothing is helping, it is dying very quickly. I put it in perlite, damp, small jar, and it is getting worse every day.

Today I looked to see if I could get any good cuttings off of it, and I don't see any. I am going to keep it a while longer, just in case it decides to surprise me. But I have my doubts.

The other one that has roots, isn't doing all that great either, but holding it's own. I was going to wait for about a week or so before putting it in a smaller pot, give it some time to rest from the last repotting. (but not too long)

I have almost come to the conclusion that Holiday Cacti is something I am not good at,, but I will keep trying. Mainly because I love them, and second, it is becoming a personal challange~~ lol

Something has to kick in my head sooner or later~~ :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, info and personal exp. Very much apprecieated.

Marjie~~ not wanting to give up~~ :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on my Thanksgiving Cacti

I'm sorry about your TC. They really are my favorite plants.

I saw your post last night and I woke up this morning with an idea. Why don't you wait until early spring and get some cuttings from a TC with a color you really like. I'm sure one of us would have something you would like or you could purchase some from eBay or an online nursery. Then, with advice from people here who know, root the cuttings and grow a new TC from the ground up, so to speak. Read up on GW until then on what kind/size of pot, different soil options, where you are going to grow your plant indoors, etc. Put this plant out in the summer in an appropriate area and then with some luck, you'll have blooms next Thanksgiving.

This way you can kind of get in tune with a plant that you've grown yourself from healthy cuttings starting out the right way rather than trying to save something that was going downhill when you got it. Of course, we'll all be here to give advice as you go along.

Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here