Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

After the Rains

hanzrobo
11 years ago

Well, it stopped raining last week and everything is almost dry again. I had a perfect window to take some morning-time post-rain shots. Enjoy!

recognize this, Jeffe?

Comments (15)

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Second to last shot is complete perfection. So lovely. Like crystals. Thank you for the show!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

The overwhelming Crassuliciousness, with hints of Asteraceae and Liliaceae, is overwhelming, or the two Metaxa were. It's a beautiful montage, Ryan - WTG (way to go, not wind turbine generator)!!! I'm going to have to chew on this again.

• robinpla
    11 years ago

Yeah, second to last looks great! Professional looking.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Such beautiful pics and plants. TFS!

• gramadea
    11 years ago

What wonderful photos and plants. The last with the reflection in the rain drop is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Dea

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Ryan, any chance you have some names for #'s 6 and 9? I know they are Echeveria, but???? #6 looks like a E. shaviana hyrid, and #9 maybe E. chroma... Thanks for sharing some very nice photos.

Howard

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Wow...great plants! What the heck kind of lens are you using?

T

• paul_
    11 years ago

Some very nice shots, Ryan! Particularly like the last one with the palms trees' image in the waterdrop.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Yep, great pics and nice plants!
    I liked that hint of 'Hobbit' in there, too ;-)

Josh

• 100mphtortoise
    11 years ago

I really like the last photo, the palms in the droplet are cool, what is the eighth pic. Down

• 100mphtortoise
    11 years ago

I really like the last photo, the palms in the droplet are cool, what is the eighth pic. Down

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Kinda partial to the dimpled texture of the fourth pic, but they are all great. Thanks.

tj

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody! I had an extra long day of work and came home to a page full of comments! I'm glad y'all like my photography, gotta credit my Canon Rebel. Step 1- nice camera, Step 2 - point and click.

Howard, thank you sir. #6 is E. 'Afterglow'. #9, I wish I knew, buddy. If you can figure it out, I'll tag it and promise you my first born pup.

Tom, thanks. The lens is whatever came standard with the Canon Rebel 10 mpx in 2007. It's always taken sweet shots.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crassuliciousness is my new favorite word. Jeff, WTG (what terrific grammar!)

Josh, I can't seem to take a damn photo without some kind of Jade popping up!

The last photo is one of my favorite effects. The drop turns the image behind it upside-down, which is why I flipped it, obviously. Those trees are in my neighbor's yard. You can see part of my house on the bottom left.

tsuga, out of all the photos, #4 is my favorite shot of the water beads, the way they cling to the vertical Aeonium leaf. That's the whole reason I started shooting.

Tom, I looked at my lens. It's a Canon EF-S 18-55mm.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ryan. And if your E. 'Afterglow' ever puts on a pup or it gets tall enough for you to whack it and produce pups, I hope I'm near the top of your list. I have a small one but it is nowhere near as nice as yours... maybe with time and some sun light! Winter is murder on Echeveria!!!!

Ryan, just a small deviation on your thread, please, only because you were asked about your camera. While I'm no expert when it comes to the technical side of photography, there is a lot to consider when taking pictures, as we all know. The attached pictures were both taken today under the same set of circumstances, i.e., location, time of day, f stop, shutter speed, distance of camera to subject of about 20", etc. The difference is the lens. The first was taken with a 18mm ~ 105mm lens at 105mm while the second was taken with 105mm macro lens. The angle of acceptance of each lens makes some of the difference. Each lens has its own "area of expertise". Ryan's lens probably has a short focal length allowing him to be able to get a very beautiful close-up, while I am restricted to about 16" with my zoom lens. For me to capture the dynamics of Ryan's last two pictures, I would have to use my macro lens. For those of you who use a "point and shoot" camera, don't despair, just change your setting to the "flower" icon on the camera's dial and you will be able to take very nice close-ups of your plants.