Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds Dropping off Christmas Cactus

Posted by rebel215 VA-07 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 23:14

I recently bought two Christmas Cactuses (is that a word?) from the local High School. They are both loaded w/buds and have some flowers. Some of the buds are dropping off. What causes this and what should I do to prevent it? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds Dropping off Christmas Cactus

Water and heat this time of the year. There also could be other cuses but I doubt it. They are dormant. Norma

o

Sorry Norma, I must disagree. I doubt it's the heat & I KNOW it's not the water. It's likely moving it while the buds are still developing. If they're not open yet, they tend to drop if the plant is moved, particularly if its orientation to the light is changed.

From most of what I've read, while the buds are still developing, if one changes the plant's orientation to the light, the buds divert their energy to turning back towards the light & they tend to collapse at the neck of the bud & fall off.

I can't think of anything to suggest that will prevent this except don't move them anymore & try to keep them away from drafts or blasts of heat.

o

I have to agree with pirate_girl. They tend to be really fussy when they get moved while they're budding. Last year, all I did was move a couple thanksgiving cacti from the laundry room to the dining room - and that was enough to make it lose a majority of the buds. That was frustrating. When it starts budding, you need to leave it alone and let it go through the whole process.

o

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave them where they are - they still have buds, so I might get more flowers. Thanks!

o

yes i agree too!
if you move the pot,even slightly,the light angle changes and all buds will fall,if the buds are more advanced,they may continue to grow
gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here