Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not sure what to do with this! Ideas needed

Posted by LauraRobichaud 5b Mass. (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 23:48

This succulent had fallen behind a bench at this small garden enter near me. It was minus the pot. How should I break it up and pot it? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not sure what to do with this! Ideas needed

Hi Laura.

If it were mine, I would cut each stem, leaving about 2 inches below each leaf bunch. Pop off solitary leaves. You can let each piece of Sedum pachyphyllum ;) heal for a few days before re-planting in a gritty mix.
The rooted stems will also continue to grow new heads after being cut.

o

Laura,

I've found many a Crassulaceae (yours appears to be a Graptosedum or something so) behind / below a potting bench / shelf, rooted into the chin dribblings, as it were. You can see some Graptopetalum superbum leaves which have rooted into plants.

Photobucket

You can plunk him into C&S soil as is, loosen completely the soil around the root ball, or somewhere in between - it's up to your level of desired work. That's what's great about them, or should I say, another thing great about them.

Personally, I'd take the path of just a little resistance and shave the corners into half of what they are now and put it into well-draining soil. Water in a few days after repotting and away you should go.

o

Thanks guys! I decided to get rid of the mix. It was an absolute brick. Cut off some heads and am letting them harden. I potted up what was left. It'll be interesting to see how that grows.

Thanks for the ID too. ;)

o

Just giving an update. This plant is loving the outside!

o

Ooo, your Sedum pachyphyllum is looking grand, Laura!

Thanks for the update!clap lg guy photo clappinglgsmiley.gif

o

Looks like that mix agrees w/ it as much as the lovely outdoors do. Lookin' good there Laura!

o

Very nice and clean work with those plants, Laura! :-)

Josh

o

Is that the same E Obesa ? Looking good as well

o

Thank you all! It really is loving it outside. Mrlike, yes, that's that crazy Obesa I have. It is growing and is, in the past week, putting out some blooms.

I'm ending up with too many plants. When winter comes, I'm going to have to find some foster homes until it's warm enough to put them outside again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here