Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aajoo

What is it?

aajoo
18 years ago

Hi all, I got this one from a friend of mine, It was quite ill-treated.... can you help me to identify it?

{{gwi:460956}}
{{gwi:460957}}
Davide

Comments (15)

• Pieter
    18 years ago

Perhaps a Mammillaria prolifera? But very bad treated in that case.
    Pieter

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Davide,
    I agree with Pieter, it looks like a M. prolifera with not enough light. Mine are all compact growers with pink to yellow flowers in th summer.
    Dan Rhoads
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

That is seriously etiolated if it really is a Mammillaria. And look at the branching!

I think you should tell people its a very rare Opuntioid, say from Patagonia ;)

• aajoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you folk. Do you think it may bloom in this bad condition?
    Davide

• rjm710
    18 years ago

If you can gradually increase the light until it gets full sun, it should bloom. I'm not sure how long it will take, as the buds on Mamms seem to develop on the previous seasons growth (can anyone confirm this?). Also, the etiolation can not be reversed. You may want to take cuttings from the end of the stems in the spring, and restart the plant.

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Davide,
    You can take pups/cuttings in the spring, but if given enough sun during the summer and cool rest period in the winter, it would fill in with pups till you really won't be able to tell that is was ever in this condition. This may take several years, but you will be rewarded with a really nice clump. If given the same conditions as decribed above, next spring/summer ('07) you should some nice flowers.
    Dan Rhoads
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• fishies
    18 years ago

The mamm elongata has the same type spines and colouring as the mamm prolifera, but is more stretched-out, like fingers. Mammalaria elongata is my guess.

Shelly

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:460954}}

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

I'd go with prolifera for this one. I have seen several that look like this one - they grow long and hang out of their pots like hanging plants, but they're fine and they bloom and go on putting on pups etc. Prolifera seems to be a very forgiving and adaptable plant.

In fact, I have one that insists on growing elongated like this one, although it is under the same growing conditions as others that bunch. I just figured it's a "variety".

• fishies
    18 years ago

I don't know... prolifera tends to be more ball-like. Even etiolation wouldn't make it stretch out quite like that. I've seen etiolated prolifera (etiolation seems to be my personal curse from the cactus gods :), although that may have more to do with living in a low-light basement apartment, and less with any kind of curse).

But anyway, etiolated prolifera don't elongate that much, nor in that way. Rather, they tend to have a ball at the base, and then stretch out thinner and thinner from the more rounded base. Yours seem to be thicker at the tips, which is the way a not-quite-in-perfect-health, but doing okay, elongata grows.

Shelly

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Wish I could find a photo to show the ones I have - closest is this one. Plant to the left rear is prolifera as is the one next to it (not in front). The bunchy one with two flower buds is now quite elongated and this is not due to lack of light.

{{gwi:460955}}

• aajoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again for your useful help. Can I do a "provocative" question: Are yoy sure it is a mammillaria?
    davide

• Pieter
    18 years ago

Hi Shelly,

Take a close look to the spination of your M. elongata: this is completely different to the spination on Davide's plant. I've seen a M. prolifera almost identical to Davide's plant.

Pieter

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Of course not! Just working from what the photo looks like it is based on personal knowledge.

My only other guess would be some type of echinocereus (again badly treated) ... but I guess you should see what the others who know a lot more than I do have to say.

• aajoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What about Mammillaria saboae (etiolated)?
    Davide

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hello Davide, It's often more difficult to ID a plant that is badly etiolated, as the etiolation not anly effects the plant stems, but the spinations is much weaker too, though I'm inclined to agree with Pieter on this one, it's very much a waiting game, until it puts on some strong growth and of course some flowers. best of luck with it

CP

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz