Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisc_gw

Attenuata/Fasciata

ChrisC
18 years ago

Hi,

Being very new to this, I asked the lovely guy who owns the local cacti nursery to label this succulent along with a few others when I bought them at the weekend. Well, he labelled it 'Fasciata' but I've been told it's probably more likely to be 'Attenuata' as it is much more common. Now, I did a quick google images search and the only difference I noticed is the darkness of the green. It is a very dark colour, and has points at the top of each "stem" - for lack of a better term - if thats any help. Cam amyone give me their opinion?

Also, I've used a very thin layer of sand as a top substrate which I've told could cut off top ventilation etc, would do you think?

Thanks alot,

Chris

Image link:

Comments (6)

• Denise
    18 years ago

Hi again, Chris. David Martin, the creator of the Haworthia.com website, has been my greatest source of what I consider credible information when it comes to the identity of Haworthias. I still think your plant is more likely attenuata, but you'll need to take a look at it a little closer than the photo shows. Let me quote the page I've linked below:

"This image clearly shows some of the defining differences between Haworthia fasciata and Haworthia attenuata. First the flat part of the leaf facing the center of the pant is smooth and clear. Secondary, the leaves are shorter, fatter, and straighter. Although not apparent here, this plant will develop into short columns, where an attenuata will not."

HTH... Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia.com - fasciata page

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Looks like H. attenuata to me, a very common plant.

• ChrisC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, thanks! :) I think it probably is H.attenuata.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

I think you've got it in a good pot Chris. It'll grow bigger at first, then it will begin putting out offsets. Eventually, they'll form a large clump, which is very attractive.
    Amy

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Chris,
    Your top layer of sand would be better removed and replaced with a fine grit.
    I normally put about 1-1.5cm of grit around each pot as a topdressing.
    This serves a few purposes as follows.
    1)Supports the plant when the grit is placed at the base of plant.
    2)Keeps the base of the plant away from the damp growing compost as the grit dries out quicker than the compost and does not hold the water.
    3)In hot weather it helps to hold the water in the compost that bit longer which allows the plant to draw water up through its roots before the compost dries out.
    4)It helps to stop algae and weeds from taking up residence in the pot
    5)It also makes the plant look more attractive.
    If it was Abbeybrook nursery you were at Brian Fearn would surely advise you on what local grit/gravel is available.
    Best of luck.
    Niel

• ChrisC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Amy and Neil.

Neil, in my other thread devoted just to the topic of the Top Substrate (link below), I decided that I'll leave the substrate on till I next have to water it. Then, if it shows signs of growing algae, retaining moisture or preventing aeration of the soil, I'll remove it imediately and replace it with gravel. It's only a very thin (>5mm) layer.

Thanks,
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Susbstrate Thread

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH