Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrophytumfreak

Echinocactus horizonthalonius

astrophytumfreak
18 years ago

Echinocactus horizonthalonius, really looking nice and blue eventhough they are grown under lights. The seeds came from Guadalupe Pass, Texas.

{{gwi:461318}}

{{gwi:461319}}

{{gwi:461320}}

This one is from culture seeds, and the color of the spines seem to be a bit more colorfull than usual:

{{gwi:461321}}

E. horizonthalonius PAN 183, not so spiny as the others:

{{gwi:461322}}

Comments (16)

• tequila
    18 years ago

Vary nice, It is good to see how well developed they are over Peresquiopsis. I am making my first attempts of grafting seedlings over Peresquiopsis, but I am having some troubles.
    Can you help me with that?
    Alfonso

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Alfonso,
    Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see the pictures you have posted. Can you post them again?
    It sounds like your grafts are kept in a very dry invironment? I keep my grafts in a very humid (sealed) aquarium for the first 10 days after the graft has been made. By doing this you avoid shrinking scions.
    Let me know if you have more questions. Grafting on pereskiopsis is really easy when you have cleared out the initial troubles.
    Dan

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Alfonso,

Now I'm really inspired to try some grafting again - the tutorial makes it look so easy and I have lots of opuntia to work with. The rubber-band part is where I have had trouble before - but if they can just be stuck on as a small seedling then ...

Have to save the link and see what success I have.

Jan

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    I am most impressed with your grafting techniques and more so your successful results.
    Like Alfonso,I also have some questions which I hope you would kind enough to help me with.
    Could you explain your aquarium technique in more detail?
    How do you maintain a high humidity within the aquarium etc?
    Lastly overwintering all your grafts do you use bottom heat and lights to maintain a certain temp eg in a propagator.
    The reason I ask I have some Pereskiopsis cuttings and seed which I would like use for grafting purposes for my
    Ariocarpus and Astrophytum when they germinate after sowing.
    Niel

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Niel,
    Thanks! The pictures here just show a few of the grafts I made this fall. I would like to show you some more pictures, but photobucket is down right now. I will post them tomorrow.
    I have attached a link to an article. This article was what got me going some years ago. I have developed the method quite alot since, but I think the article will be enough for you to start with (there are just so many small details in my own method).
    The aquarium part is quite easy. I place a bowl of hot water in the aquarium, and then close the top with a custom made lid. It will remain humid for 10 days with out a problem.
    I overwinter my plants inside the house at around 15C. They don't get any botom heat or lightning when they are over 1 year old. It has worked pretty fine for me so far.
    Let me know if you have more questions.
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: living rocks

• tequila
    18 years ago

Dan:
    I am using an acuarium but with light that gives some heat, so I must add some water to the bottom to mantain humidity. You said that you do not use aditional light?
    Maybe my problem is the heat.
    {{gwi:461351}} border="0" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All plants that are younger than 1 year old live under lights similar to yours. They produce some heat, but that's only good.
    It looks like the light is too far away from your seedlings and grafts. I usually keep my plants 1-2 inches from the tube.
    Maybe you just need to make some more tests. I'm sure it will work for you one day.
    Dan

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Thanks Dan for the humidity solution in the aquarium.
    Do you use lights for the period they are in the aquarium immediately after grafting.

Unfortunately I could not get your link to work for me it just came up with page not available.

Thanks again I appreciate your help.
    Niel.

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Niel,
    No, I don't use lights when they are in the aquarium. When I take them out after 10 days, I give them 1 day of rest before I place them under the hot lights.
    BTW, here are some more pictures. All plants are 3-4 months from seed:

{{gwi:461325}}
    {{gwi:461327}}
    {{gwi:461328}}
    {{gwi:461329}}
    {{gwi:461330}}
    {{gwi:461331}}
    {{gwi:461332}}
    {{gwi:461333}}
    {{gwi:461334}}
    {{gwi:461335}}
    {{gwi:461336}}
    {{gwi:461337}}

The link did not work for me either. Try the new link below. I checked it and it work.
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: pereskiopsis

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    I am indebted to you for the info and also flabbergasted at the growth rate that you are achieving with your grafting they look superb.
    The new link worked perfectly for me,thankyou, I just had a quick look through the site and a lot of my questions are answered there.
    Thanks again,
    Niel.

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post your pics which are very explanatory indeed.
    What surprised me was that you only remove the growing tip of the stock, I imagined it would have been more.
    One Question do you sterilise your razor blade before use?
    Once again thanks for your help.
    Niel.

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Niel,
    No problem. Great help from other growers was what got me started in the first place, so I guess it's only fair to give a bit of it back.
    Oh yes, it's very important that you only remove the first 1-5 milimeters of the growing tip. If you cut it further down, there is a big risk that the graft won't work.
    I sterilize the razorblade after every 2 grafts. I use 99.9% iso propyl alcohol (you can get it very cheap on ebay or on your local pharmacy). I have tried other mothods, but iso propyl alcohol give the best results (nearly 100% success).
    Dan

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the info on my last questions.
    I have my seeds which I will sow once I get the grafting stocks will let you know how I get on later in the year.
    Once again many thanks,
    Niel.

• tequila
    18 years ago

Dan: Thank you a lot. It solves a lot of my questions about the grafting. Your work plus the article are helpfull.
    Another question. Do you graft any time of the year?
    Alfonso

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Alfonso,
    No I only graft in autumn.
    If you use lights you should be able to graft when ever you want though. I usually gather all my seeds and do the graftings one time each year, but I guess I could do it at any time of the year.
    Dan

Sponsored