Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aksb_gw

ID Mammillarias

aksb
18 years ago

These plants belong to a friend - need help to ID. He grows these outdoors all year round but his grow about twice as fast as mine - we have no winter to worry about.

I think my photos are really big - how can I reduce them to the thumbnails that will enlarge when clicked on?

Jan

1. I think this is mammillaria marksiana?

{{gwi:461464}}

2. I think this might be mammillaria nivosa

{{gwi:461466}}

3. mammillaria candida?

{{gwi:461467}}

4. I have no idea which mammillaria this is

{{gwi:461468}}

Comments (6)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

3. looks like Mammillaria geminispina ssp leucocentra to me (one I posted for ID a while back~but not positive on it). Link to one below.

For Photobucket thumbnails, put a checkmark in the box (underneath) for the photo you want. Scroll down to bottom of page & click to select the generate HTML deal, then Go. On new page click on the 1st URL listed to highlight & then copy it (right click-copy). Come back to your post & paste it in. (That's the SHORT version of How To--think there might be instructions at the site somewhere.)

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:461462}}

• tequila
    18 years ago

What about Mammillaria columbiana for #2 and Mammillaria rhodantha for #4
    Alfonso

• aksb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, the link you gave looks right for #3. Thanks.

Alfonso, I looked up columbiana and rhodantha and #4 seems to look more like columbiana - doesn't rhodantha have distinct red spines? Maybe #2 and #4 are the same thing?

Jan

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

So are we all agreed that #1 is M. marksiana?

#2 Not M. nivosa. Looks to me like M. columbiana, which happens to be native to Jamaica :)

#3 might be M. geminispina, but I don't think it is ssp leucocentra. Also the tubercles look angular rather than rounded, but that might just be the photo?

#4 might also be M. columbiana. M. rhodantha has recently had all sorts of other species lumped into it, some have reddish spines and some don't, but I'm fairly sure this isn't M. rhodantha.

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

OK, so it seems they got my account back up so I'm back to being me.

S&B - Didn't know that Jamaica had any native mammillaria. Maybe I need to do some more research. I know that nivosa is supposed to be native to Cuba and #2 looked more like a nivosa to me when it was smaller.
    - #3 tubercules are more angular than rounded. And therefore???

Jan

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Try Mammillaria albilanata for #3.

M. columbiana is the only recognised species from Jamaica, although there are recent published reports of a different (un-named) species also occurring there.

M. nivosa has generally a single central spine which is almost identical to the rather thick and yellow-brown radials. Your plant(s) appear to have five-ish yellow centrals and a number of thinner paler radials.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor