Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Masquerade

ariole
18 years ago

Aloe 'firebird' masquerading as an unlabeled Gasteria.

Al

{{gwi:461779}}

Comments (10)

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

That's a great photo, Al! The Gasteria is a lovely one, too!

Kate

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kate. I also like the Gasteria. It also produces a great flower.

Al

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Very nice picture Al. I have a similar looking Gasteria that came to me as baylissiana, but I have serious doubts after doing some research. It's likely mine is a hybrid of some sort. I've found nothing that makes me think it's any particular species. The leaves are too pointed to be baylissiana, although the growth habit seems right.

{{gwi:461781}}

Amy

• Denise
    18 years ago

Amy,

Yours looks more like a batesiana than a baylissiana. My baylissiana has a smooth surface. Batesiana is very textured like yours. But apparently batesiana is variable - I have two...

{{gwi:461782}}

...and batesiana 'Pongola'...
    {{gwi:461783}}

I wasn't able to see (or open...) Al's pic. :(
    Denise in Omaha

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Amy yours is certainly choice and beautifully photographed. As photographed your gem has more white on the dots. Not so for mine and the leaves themselves on mine are decidedly more yellow-green, possibly even more so on parts not shown in the picture. (If light permits I might be able to get a photo posted.)

I might have sent a piece to Rosemarie last year. Possibly she remembers what was decided.

From my experiences with fellow collectors of Gasterias, pups are passed around and a uniformity seems to exist in many collections because of this vegetative propagation. As frightening as it seems, many of my plants are 'identified' by comparing them with pictures posted on the web.

I don't know enough about keying out Gasterias to even be dangerous. Do you have a good site for viewing Gasteria pics?

I'm now down to about five different plants and should make an attempt to get names on all.

And then we talk 'hybrids' to further cloud the issue.

Part of what makes all of this so much fun.

Al

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denise, try this link:

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/9614/masquerading6vg.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:461779}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Neat photo, Al...both plant & flower! You tricked us (well, me)!

I can't say what Amy's plant might be, but I think we settled on Gasteria batesiana for the one you sent me. And thanks again, very much! I think I went around with the names verrucosa, baylissiana & acinacifolia a possibilities in the beginning of trying to figure it out.

Site linked below might be useful to some.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gasteria reference

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie I thank you for your great memory and the 'Gasteria reference' link. I hope I bookmark it properly. Gasteria batesiana is now my choice also.

Al

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Ha! Now I tricked you, Al!
    Memory has nothing to do with it! I checked my files for pix I took back then & names I had given. Then went to bookmarks for all possibilities we came up with. Figuring which was the END result was tricky though.

~Rosemarie

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, I continue to thank you, especially for that link--some interesting reading about Gasterias.

Al

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County