Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Turbins & Company

Ohio_Green_Thumb
18 years ago

These are the two T. valdezianus that I recently brought up from the basement. I was checking plants down there and noticed the white "tufts" at the growing points and felt certain that they are flower buds in the making.

The first one is T. valdezianus v. albiflorus which I got from Miles.

{{gwi:461883}}

This one came from another source so I'm not sure if it will produce white or purple flowers.

{{gwi:461884}}

And here they are with their companion, Mammillaria herrerae. I'm afraid my engineering training shows through as the plants are arranged in an isosceles triangle! LOL

{{gwi:461885}}

I'm thinking I will repot the Turbins when they are done flowering (if they flower) and give the Mamm a pot of its own too, or maybe group it with other small spring-flowering Mamms in my collection. I am hoping that it will eventually clump too. I got it from Miles, and I don't know if it will clump or not.

They are now sitting in a south facing windowsill where they receive about 10 hours of daylight. The sun is trying to shine today but it's been dim and grim that past few weeks with nothing but rain or snow. :( I gave them a very light drink when I brought them up, just enough to wet their whistles and that's all. Don't want to give them too much!

Advice or experiences with any of these plants would be appreciated!

Amy

Comments (7)

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Amy,

If the first T. valeziana is v. albiflora the second one is also the v. albiflora. The type (=red) and variety differ a bit in spination.
    Mamm. herrerae don't seem to clump usually. I have several plants of up to 15 years of age and none produced any offset. But one is a 3-header from beginning.

Happy New Year

Jordi

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jordi. Do you think the white tufts are flower buds?

Amy

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Amy,

the flower buds are actually without any wool and very dark and shiny. The white tufts seem to be the very first stage when the young bud is just starting to push up the upper lot of the radial spines from below.

Jordi

• Joelfriday
    18 years ago

Very nice pictures!

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Lovely little plants Amy, I still wishing for M herrerae!!

CP

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the comments all. CP, I'm waiting for the little bugger to bloom for me!

Amy

• deefar
    18 years ago

Great shots. I really like your M. herrerae. I will be getting one this spring.

Dawn