Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turbins & Company

Posted by Ohio_Green_Thumb Zone 5b NW Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 11:34

These are the two T. valdezianus that I recently brought up from the basement. I was checking plants down there and noticed the white "tufts" at the growing points and felt certain that they are flower buds in the making.

The first one is T. valdezianus v. albiflorus which I got from Miles.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This one came from another source so I'm not sure if it will produce white or purple flowers.

And here they are with their companion, Mammillaria herrerae. I'm afraid my engineering training shows through as the plants are arranged in an isosceles triangle! LOL

I'm thinking I will repot the Turbins when they are done flowering (if they flower) and give the Mamm a pot of its own too, or maybe group it with other small spring-flowering Mamms in my collection. I am hoping that it will eventually clump too. I got it from Miles, and I don't know if it will clump or not.

They are now sitting in a south facing windowsill where they receive about 10 hours of daylight. The sun is trying to shine today but it's been dim and grim that past few weeks with nothing but rain or snow. :( I gave them a very light drink when I brought them up, just enough to wet their whistles and that's all. Don't want to give them too much!

Advice or experiences with any of these plants would be appreciated!

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turbins & Company

Amy,

If the first T. valeziana is v. albiflora the second one is also the v. albiflora. The type (=red) and variety differ a bit in spination.
Mamm. herrerae don't seem to clump usually. I have several plants of up to 15 years of age and none produced any offset. But one is a 3-header from beginning.

Happy New Year

Jordi

o

Thanks Jordi. Do you think the white tufts are flower buds?

Amy

o
RE: Turbinis & Company

Amy,

the flower buds are actually without any wool and very dark and shiny. The white tufts seem to be the very first stage when the young bud is just starting to push up the upper lot of the radial spines from below.

Jordi

o

Very nice pictures!

o

Lovely little plants Amy, I still wishing for M herrerae!!

CP

o

Thanks for the comments all. CP, I'm waiting for the little bugger to bloom for me!

Amy

o

Great shots. I really like your M. herrerae. I will be getting one this spring.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here