Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings advice!

Posted by newbhoy Scotland (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 12:19

Happy new year every one.
I'm looking for some advice to kick off the new year concerning 9 month old Astro Craggpinum and asterias v. nudum seedlings. I have basically treated them as adult plants as far as winter watering is concerned i.e watering ceased end of October. Up to this point in time they look very happy with life, very sturdy/solid looking. They are sitting on south facing window sill and at room temp most of the time. Should I continue in the same manner until mid march then start gently watering from then onwards?
Check photo of my 4 Craggpinum, you might just make them out!
Thanks again for all your help
Scott.

Image link: seedlings advice! (37 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings advice!

What on earth is a Craggpinum?

Take my advice with a pinch of salt since I don't know what you're growing, but indoors they would appreciate just a little water over winter rather than a complete drought for four months or so.

o

• Posted by Joyce Zone 7b LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 16:58

They look dead to me. :(

o

S&B - dont know myself but thats what it said on the seed packet?? ( probably some italian hybrid...)they are astro's of some kind, anyway, who cares, they are ALIVE with roots(joyce) If i can get them through to the spring, then in, say 9 months time I'll post another pic.
So, basically give them a little water like you would any other cactus srrdling?

o

A. capricorne v crassispinum?

o

S&B - Thanks for the proper I.D. I just mis-read the description (dodgy handwriting...that's my story and I'm sticking to it:), feel a bit silly now!
Just seen some images of adult versions and looking forward to achieving such status.
Cheers!
Scott.

o

I don't like the look of those seedlings. The picture isn't very clear but they should be at least a bit greeny grey. Maybe they are scorched, maybe they are dead.

o

Condemned without a fair trial, surely not!
Remember these plants in their natural habitat endure more telling conditions, sustained periods of little to no precipitation, even as seedlings/juviniles. They have not been subjected to anything more or less in their current environment. Perhaps I am at an advantage with having a magnifying glass and not poor focus photos. If there is no visible improvement within a 2 month period then I may concede defeat, but right now my faith remains resolute.
The phoenix shall arise from the flames....:)
Watch this space!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here