Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent ID help please.

Posted by rhodostom z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 13:41

Hello all. I believe this is some kind of stapelia, but I am unsure. Can anyone assist?

Thanks,
-Michael

Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent ID help please.

Dear Michael,

Do you have a picture of the bloom?

You're correct - it is a succulent member of the Asclepiad genus, and it could be a Stapelia, but without a picture, it's very difficult to ID it properly (that is to say, correctly).

o

Jeffrey,

No, actually I don't have a picture of it in bloom. The plant was pretty neglected when I got it earlier this year, and it is just starting to recover.

Thanks for the info on Asclepiad though. That will at least give me a place to start looking for how to properly care for them.

-Michael

o

Hi Michael,

Sorry, I can't offer any help w/ the ID you're asking.

But may I pls. ask if you have an ID for the interesting looking Sansevieria just to the upper right of it in the pic? Very nice, whatever it is!

o

Pirate Girl,

Drop me an email and I'd be happy to tell you about it:)

rhodostoma at yahoo

-michael

o

Dear Michael,

Most succulent Asclepiads, to include (but don't limit yourself to) Carallumas, Orbeas, Stapelias, Huernias, Hoodias, Tromotriches, Stultitias, Gonolobus, Fockeas, Whitesloaneas, Raphionacmes, etc. are like tropical plants - they want to be well-watered in the warm weather (their growing season), they want to be in porous soil, and they want good air circulation. What they never want is to be cold and wet. If you follow thoserules, you should have flowers later this year.

What is the ID for your Sans?

o

Thanks for the info Jeffrey.

Re: the sans. the one in the bottom is an etoiliated Patens.

The one in the top is a sorta unknown sans. I got it from a local greenhouse with the name of SNRS (I forget the numbers). I've been told though that this is not a valid name and a few people that have looked have not been able to track this name to anything documented.

Personally, I believe it is Sansevieria halli. I'm waiting to send a plant to a friend though for more experienced confirmation.

Check here in the upcoming week and I should have a photo uploaded of it.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a36/rhodostom/

Thanks for the help and interest.

-Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here