Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Salvaged Succulent Seeds

ariole
18 years ago

The g/h fans were going full blast when the pod containing these seeds exploded. It's not a plant I want to grow from seed but I was eager to see what was hiding in the pod. Each one is about 3" from tip to tip.

{{gwi:462308}}

[Adenium obesum]

Al

Comments (8)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

What fantastic looking seeds, Al. Thanks for the view!!

~Rosemarie

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Wow I'm with Rosemarie,

I hope to one day get seeds from mine but I never had an idea what they would look like. In my mind it was some fat and hardened black seed, not anything so delicate. I really want to try to grow them from seeds, can't wait 'til mine reach this stage. Thanks for the heads up!

MBT

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie. I intended to show a picture of the plant that produced the seeds - photographed Jan 1, '06.

I really believe it's still alive, it looks like this every winter. I stop watering it about September 1 when it moves inside for about 9 or so months. I'll cautiously reintroduce it to water sometime in April or when I see a little green showing at the tips. Any more water and I can cause these guys to rot off or rot from the inside out. Others seem to grow them like weeds. I have this one and another. I swear when they go there will be none to replace them - even if they give them away at Walmart. I even keep this one on a heating pad to keep its little roots warm.

{{gwi:462309}}

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr Brown,

I understand they are relatives of milkweeds. Both the pod shape and seed form seem to confirm that. There are still some seeds blowing around out in the g/h. I would be happy to put them in the mail.

Al

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Oh wow again!

Look at those seeds. The look like weed seeds I see floating around here. Thanks again for sharing that pic. I'm even more excited now to try these guys from seed. Ariole, what's the stuff on the background on the left side? Especially the white cluster way back. It looks like a pile of pearls!

MBT

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That little white pile of pearls is Mammillaria humboldtii. It's a summer bloomer. Somewhere in my archives I have some pictures. I'll look.

Al

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

"Milkweeds" is exactly what they look like. There is an overgrown lot of milkweeds near the post office I use and I'm always watching the seeds get loose from their pods.

Thanks for the offer of seeds, I'd love some. Is that your yard outside? I have a lot of outdoor seeds I'd trade you some for your AO seeds. I have some Japanese Anemones bulbs that might look nice among your rock scaping. Send me an e-mail and we'll swap.

MBT

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Thanks for the peek into your greenhouse, Al. The seeds are truly wonderous! And the plants in the background in your 2nd photo made my jaw drop. I could probably spend hours in your greenhouse, wandering around and muttering nonsensical sounds. I am truly amazed and in awe of your collection. Please post more!
    Amy

Sponsored