Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusdan19

Mammillaria boolii

cactusdan19
18 years ago

Just wanted to test putting a pic on here. These are some of my Mammillaria boolii last summer. Thanks.

Dan

Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

• cactusdan19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, still didn't get this.
    Dan
    BTW, here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: M. boolii

• deefar
    18 years ago

I see the pic. What a great display. I'm glad I got one from you.

Dawn

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Very nice. I've never owned a mam, but the temptation may be hard to ignore now :-).

randy

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Randy,

You absolutely MUST own at least one Mamm! You are sure missing out. You can tell they are my faves : ) They bloom easily & are easy to grow, beautiful. Dan, those flowers are gorgeous, I love this one.

Jen

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Jen

I guess I've had this 'thing' about mamms. Even my neighbor's dog grows them :-). Oh well, might as well join the crowd.

randy

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Very nice display!
    Whats that very spiky cactus top right?

• cactusdan19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Dawn, hope you have good luck with yours, I collected lots of seed this winter from them.

Randy, I agree, you need at least one Mammillaria, Look through www.deserttropicals.com to get an idea how diverse they are. Large flowers, bright colors, creepers, big, almost barrel types, Owl's Eye types (divide dichotomously). Almost anything you want, even hard to grow types ;-)

Thanks Jen, these and M. wrightii are my fav purple flowered ones.

Larry, all grown from seed, the cactus on top right is Machaerocereus eruca (creeping devil) from seed.

Thanks all for you comments.

Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• luthien79
    18 years ago

I got one of these early last year and had it flower in the summer. Really nice plant, I'm glad I got it.

Nice display you got from your bunch, lol.

Toni-Marie

• cactusdan19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toni-Marie,
    Aren't you from the Echinopsis group on Yahoo? Wonder if that group will ever come back to life? Maybe next spring/summer! Good to see you here.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• rodiq
    18 years ago

I saved that photo, Dan, they look fantastic!
    Can you tell us what age they start to bloom?

Thanks for sharing,
    Rodica

• cactusdan19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rodica,
    Those that are blooming were sown June of 2000 and bloomed for the first time July of 2003. There are more that were sown March of 2003 and bloomed for the first time the summer of 2005. So 2 to 3 years from seed? I have a tendency to grow mine a little hard, completely dry and cool winters, very porous soil. Hope this helps.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• rodiq
    18 years ago

Many thanks, Dan.
    I use to grow my cacti the same. The less you give them, the more you got from them!

Rodica

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Dan...are you growing your M. wrightii outdoors? I have two seedlings in a pot in my garden and they seem to be making it! of course our winter this year is not as severe as most but we did have some nasty weather in Dec.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• cactusdan19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dave,
    No I haven't tried them outdoors yet. I only have the one plant from seed (has two heads even young) and would be willing to try some outdoors if I had more, I have some more seed and will buy more this year also. Thanks.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Mammillaria wrightii

• luthien79
    18 years ago

Hello

Yes, I am a member of that group, lol. I do always glance at it when I skim through my groups list to see if there has been any activity and I'll go in and contribute a bit when I see some. Still, in winter when the plants are all sleeping, it is hard to really start any convo.

I've been visiting Metamogs echinopsis site a lot though, some great photos being posted in there.

Toni-Marie

Sponsored