Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvl_

Two Week Vacation-- & Sclero sileri in habitat !!

dvl_
18 years ago

2 Weeks in the SouthWest--- still not enough time!! First thing to say is WE fell in LOVE with Northern Az & Southern Utah!!!! The amazing scenery never quits!!!

Just outside of Fredonia, Az. I made one stop as I remembered an article about how Sclero sileri grows only in the gypsum soil in that area. Within a minute I saw what looked like a large pine cone in the red & white layered "soil"----A plant much larger than I ever saw in pictures ! A SCORE!! !!

{{gwi:462832}}

{{gwi:462833}}

This is the only cactus I saw on that quick stop but it was really a kick to see this rare plant !

dvl-- more pics soon to come !!

Comments (7)

• dvl_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

not a Sclero

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Whatever it is, it's a really impressive plant.
    Amy

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, David. Where in southern Utah were you? What other gems did you see in habitat? Hope you saw some great stuff, and hope you didn't come to my area without saying "hi"! (...and checking out the Sclero parvifloruses in habitat, too!) : )

Kate

• dvl_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kate!

We went from Phoenix to Lake Powell then back to the Navajo Bridge to Fredonia to Colorado City (Az) to Hurricane/ St George then up to Zion & Bryce Canyons to Boulder to Torrey to Capital Reef to Hanksville to Blanding to Monticello to Cortez & beyond----- . I sure thought about heading north to find you guys in Moab but time & distances & destinations kept us from heading that way. We saw some nice big Scleos around Page Az & also in the rocky areas near Glen Canyon/ White Canyon Utah. I only stopped once to take one pic of the big S parviflorus though!! I know when to stop & when not to stop now!!!!If it was all up to me--- we would never go more than 20 miles a day because of my "need" to stop & look at everything I see !!

Later

dvl

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Congratulations on what sounds like a really great trip! You were close to Moab, too...only about 50 miles north of Monticello. I hope you had fun, and got lots of great pics! I am sure you did, as the ones you have posted here are excellent!

Kate

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

That big Utahia/Pedio is a great find, David!
    Early last year I noticed to my horror that all the plants were gone at a small location 1 mile east of Fredonia (between asphalt and fence) which I visited every time when in this area.

Jordi

• dvl_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jordi,

We must be talking about the very same wide section of shoulder in the road !! There were plenty of tractor/ 4 wheeler tracks & broken beer bottles. In fact--- this plant I found was nestled right amounst a large area of busted beer bottles. It was the only cactus I found in that spot. It was also the only stop I made & my first time to be in that part of Arizona. Part of me felt like digging that plant up because it will eventually get run over, dug up or just stomped to death by the looks of the place--- but it is still there. It made it this long without my help so maybe it will make it for many more years! If you get back to that pull over area--- this plant is located right in the mid line of the wide shoulder and 3/4 of the way to the fenceline.

David

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH