Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Please ID

deefar
18 years ago

I got these from Walmart....couldn't resist. I'm not sure what the first one is.

{{gwi:462930}}
{{gwi:462931}}

This one I think is a Notocactus ubelmanniaus?

{{gwi:462932}}

Thanks for your help!!

Dawn

Comments (20)

• wslesan
    18 years ago

Hey Dawn, I see you're moving along in spite of the great photo theft threat. I think the Ech is Echeveria purpusorum or a hybrid thereof. Nice looking plant - if you ever put that on your trade list let me know. WS

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I agree with WS. I've found it to be a variable plant.
    Nice finds, Dawn!

What program are you using for the text in the photo?

~Rosemarie

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

wow! that first one is a doozy. i'm with wslesan, let me know if it goes on the trades list.
    congrats on your finds -
    Jo

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey WS, how have you been? The Ech is on me. You helped me out once now it's my turn. I will send you an email to get your addy. I think we have until the 24th before the new terms come into affect.

Rosemarie, I use photo Impressions 5 for my photo's. I had a funny feeling something like this would happen. About 2 weeks ago I started putting 'Deefar' on my photo's. I think I might start putting my real name my photo's. The photo impessions came with my computer. I like it alot. How do you insert the smiley faces with your posts?

Dawn

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Dawn,

I LOVE that 1st one, sure is a beauty. Enjoy!

Jen

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

" I think we have until the 24th before the new terms come into affect."

dawn -
    what did i miss? how are new tos going to affect emails/trades, etc?

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

I can see why you couldn't resist that Ech - it's a beautiful plant.

I don't know enough about variation in notocactus to comment on the 2nd one. The one I have has very very short spines.

• ariole
    18 years ago

Dawn, your Echeveria is very nice. I also found one recently but mine was a much better deal---it came loaded with mealie bugs. It's still out in the garage in quarantine.

I go along with the 'Notocactus ubelmanniaus' idea. The long spines are a bonus.

Al

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

G'day Dawn, I really like that Ech too. The parodia is likely to be uebelmanniana as you've guessed, of course a flower will prove it one way or the other.

Happy growing.

CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jade, there was also the short spined ones there but I was drawn to the longer spines.

Al, I guess you did get a better deal :( How long has it been in quarentine?

CP, Good to hear from you again. I thought maybe you left us. So I take it that the P. uebelmanniana is varible with the spines? I have seen some with the longer spines but mostly short spines. As you can see from the photo that the plant has just finished flowering. Hopefully it will flower again this spring...well my spring time.

Jo, As far as I know trading won't be any different. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
    Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hello again Dawn, I've been missing all you guys a bit lately. At the moment, work etc. is extremely busy, so I only get to check in occasionally. But that's about to change (I think), I begin 4 weeks vacation at the end of this week, and am heading north to Queenland (very hot) to visit family for a week or so...hopefully I can encourage a few cacti to follow me home when I return. :)
    I have managed to get a few more pics over the last few weeks, which I will post eventually.
    With P. uebelmannianus the spines are much shorter, but I believe I read some where that this is variable.

Cheers for now, CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CP, Lucky you. Are you going to visit the Croc Hunter zoo? If you do take lots and lots of pics. Then you can email then to me. I would love to visit there some day. Have fun on your vacation.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind wishes Dawn, if I get to see the croc hunter I'll think of you and get some pics. :)

Bye for now, CP

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

I have the same Echeveria, Dawn, but mine came from Kmart. I can't wait to see how it does for me this summer. Hopefully it'll increase in size and maybe offset for me too. I just love the Echs!
    Amy

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

A very nice Ech that,superb markings!

• tequila
    18 years ago

Dawn:
    Nice plants that you get.
    I am intrigued about the package that I sent.
    Tell me if you got it in good shape.
    Alfonso

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CP, that would be great, thanks.

Amy, I don't know if this plant will offset. Every picture I have seen were solitary. According to Desert Tropicals they are propagated by seeds and get to be 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The one I have is in a 3 inch pot. It must be that it is full grown. Now I am going on what DT says, if I am wrong please let me know. I would love to see a pic of yours Amy.

Larry, That is what got my attention, thanks

Alfonso, I sent you another email. I sent 2 others but you must not have received them.

Dawn

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Dawn, I don't know if they offset either. Mine is definitely bigger than 21 1/2" in diameter though. Here's a picture of mine when I first got it. It looks slightly better now that it's "settled in". It's lost the pale green near the base of its leaves and is now a nice purple/maroon color. I'll be updating pics of my plants when they go outside and put on some growth.
    Amy

{{gwi:462933}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Echeverias

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Amy, I was talking with WS and from what I understand is that they don't offset. They will get to be 3.5 inches in diameter. Your plant looks to be full grown or pretty close to it. What kind of sun exposure are you going to give your plant for the summer? From what I've read they like shade or morning sun at most. Your plant is beautiful. How long ago did you get your plant?

Dawn

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

I got mine this fall, about a week before I brought my plants in for the winter. I plan to start this one out in partial shade to let it get used to the sun. After that, it should be able to stand full sun here in Ohio, along with its cousins.

I'm really looking forward to watching all my new succys take off this spring. Many of them are still young and small. They do pretty good for me here and put on quite a colorful show!

Amy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES