ariole
18 years ago

"Rejoice! The days are growing longer."

{{gwi:463154}}

Al

Comments (11)

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

It sure looks happy to be there Al! What a nice looking plant :-)

Alex

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Alex. I think it is happy. I also think the owner would be happy to be heading toward Tucson. Perhaps the day will be not too far away.

:-)

• deefar
    18 years ago

I'm happy-go-lucky!!

Dawn

• ooojen
    18 years ago

What a beautiful plant, and a beautiful shot! It does indeed look like it's celebrating-- very much like it's in motion. I just love it!

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

lovely plant! tfs

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Amen to that Al! I've had enough of these gloomy gray days. I am certain my plants feel the same.
    Amy

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

The weather keeps just getting better Al! Let me know when you are coming so we can do some cactus watching/shoping :-)

Now, if we can only get some rain these days...

Alex

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Al,
    It does seem to be flamboyant. Which species is it? My T. reticulata is growing quite well.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA5

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dan -- It's T. wallichii, Mesa garden seed #2993. (Steven still offers it in his catalogue.) I remember the seed was like dust and the seedlings emerged by what seemed the hundreds. Of course that was well back in the previous millennium.

Alex -- I'm giving serious thought to sometime in February unless a lot of rain falls soon. Then I might postpone a month or so to see some springtime flowering.

Al

• jeff_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Al,

I'll show a pic of my T. wallachii when I get to it, but I was wondering if that was what you have there; where are the knobbies on the stem? Perhaps there is a variety that is without knob...

Yours is spiking, too! Mine shows no sign of a flower (sniff).

Did y'all know that, while all Tylecodons are poisonous, this one is thought to be the most poisonous of all? If you have one, wear gloves even when repotting.

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Jeffrey

This plant never did have those persistent "knobbies". I formerly had one other from the same seed batch which had them; of course it was the one to go away one cold and wet winter. The survivor is not excessively large but is a reliable bloomer. I find the foliage more relaxed than I might like. (December/January sun is not the brightest here.) Many thanks for the reminder of it's poisonous nature. I'm sure I knew that once upon a time. Luckily I've kept it high and far from brushing/nibbling kittens. I probably would never have known what happened and if I did I would never forgive myself. With the great informational records kept by digital cameras I might try to determine when it began spiking last year.

Al