Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero

Sux 2 ID please

rosemariero
18 years ago

I have several mysteries. I'm hoping you folks can help me find IDs for the following:

Does anyone recognize this Aloe?

A.{{gwi:463430}}

Is this Aloe brevifolia?

B.{{gwi:463434}} {{gwi:463436}}

How about this Adromischus? I couldn't find A. festivus.

C.{{gwi:463439}}

Does this look like Faucaria felina to you? Or one of them Faucaria tuberculosa? Or another?

D.{{gwi:463442}} {{gwi:463445}}

This tiny Haworthia has greened up & plumped up since I repotted it & gave it a drink. The other pic (which I didn't upload yet) makes it look somewhat like Haworthia cuspidata to me. Is that possible? For it to have these small rosettes?

E.{{gwi:463448}}

Last, but not least...I believe this is a Stomatium, but which?

F.{{gwi:463451}} {{gwi:463454}}

Thanks for any & all help!

~Rosemarie

Comments (24)

• borrego
    18 years ago

Your aloe B does look like a young breviflora. It is a very small plant,though. They offset well, though.

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Rosemarie,
    Nice pics.
    Try under cooperi for your Adromischus.
    I really like your Aloe A is it a small growing one?
    Niel.

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi,

That one is definetly Faucaria felina. I have the exact same plant. Gets big sunny yellow flowers.

That Haworthia is most likely cuspidata. In time as it ages it gets clumpy : ) That's a beautiful plant, they grow fast too. Now the rest I dont want to venture. Hope I've helped a little! Good luck on the other ID's.

Jen

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

That's two shots of the same pot of Faucaria, right? With several different plants and not a single clump? Have you seen flowers on any of them?

The one plant with the prominent white raised lumps on the top surface would probably be F. felina ssp tuberculosa. The others would probably be F. felina ssp felina. F. tigrina leaves are very similar and red colouring, particularly red spines on green leaves, would indicate F. tigrina in this country, but I hesitate to apply that to your plants. Be careful trying to match this one up on the web, many photos appear to be wrongly tagged or actually hybrid.

Did they all come from a single batch of seed? It is possible that they are all hybrids.

Can you describe the smell of the Stomatium flower? I don't know what it is but I'll pass on the photo and see if I can get a name.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

OK, I'm having doubts and I can't get your "Stomatium" out of my head. Does it bloom during the day? Is it flowering now, in winter? How big are the flowers? How big are the leaves? I already asked about the scent.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Rosemarie,
    I'm glad you posted a pic of your Adromischus. I've got one just like it that I've been unable to identify for some time now.

{{gwi:463457}}

It came to me unlabeled and several folks seemed to want to name it cooperi, but I was unconvinced because the leaf tips are smooth instead of wavy like they are on cooperi. I left it unnamed hoping that someone would have a plant like mine with a name for it. I found some links for festivus below. What do you think? It seems that festivus might be synonymous for cooperi.
    Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results for A. festivus

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Borrego,
    Thank you...I will watch it as it grows. I like those offsets!

Niel,
    Thanks a bunch! I will check out Adromischus cooperi. I think I had another mistagged as that one before.

Jen,
    Thanks...I have some other Faucaria (maybe another felina as well). All of them, so far, have those bright, cheery yellow flowers! :) I also have a Haworthia cuspidata, but those rosettes are larger. I guess I need to go out & take a pic of the 2 of these together & post.

Shrubs n bulbs,
    Thanks! Yes, those are 2 shots of the same plant. The one on the right was taken 3 wks after the other. I did not grow them from seed. This is how I bought them. They do look to be all separate plants. I agree with your thoughts that 1 is Faucaria felins ssp. tuberculosa (I forgot I found these names in the past) & the rest F. felina ssp felina. I could've seen flowers on this one recently. I'll have to check my files. I'm about 3+ months behind on naming my pix (hmmm, about 1500 or so -eek!). I also have what I consider to be F. tigrina, so I'll check similarities/differences with those. Thanks for the warning about online pix...something I'm experienced with...misnaming, etc.

On the Stomatium, it didn't occur to me to smell the bloom! If it opens again (or the next time) I'll be sure to take a whiff. Yes, it blooms in the day (maybe I should say it was open in the afternoon when I noticed it). I'll watch today to see if it opens again. I appreciate you passing this along to see if you can get more info for me! Yes, it flowered on Dec 29th. That spent(?) bloom is still on there. It looked to be about an inch (2.5 -3 cm) across. The leaves are ½ in. to 1 inch (1 - 2.5cm) long.

Amy,
    I've been off on so many tangents this morning, it's taking me forever to write this! LOL Thanks for the info, Amy. I just found my notes...thinking this might be Adromischus bolusii. (link below) What do you & Niel think of that? I have A. cristatus with a wavy edge leaf. I believe A. cooperi has more plump leaves. NOW I know why I was thinking you had this one! I just found my bkmk for your pic on the thater.net of A. bolusii. Mine is more greyish looking than this pic of yours, I think.

I see how A. festivus is considered a synonym of A. cooperi. Thanks for the link! My head has been swimming w/info I've been researching. I think I knew that already, but the brain hadn't filed it in a place where I could retrieve it! Yikes!

Okay, off to fuzzy-up my brain some more! :P
    Thanks for all your help, folks! Add more if you're able!
    ~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Adromischus bolusii

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Could the Adro be A. bolusii?

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of A. bolusii

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You must've been writing at the same time as I was, Ray! Thanks for the info! It looks like that one to me, too.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question, Niel. The Aloe is about 5 or 6 inches (up to 15cm) across (pupping freely) & seems to be a stacking type (growing upward). I will be repotting it soon & see how it does then.

~R

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, here is a photo of my Adromischus when I first got it 2 years ago.

{{gwi:463460}}

The photo I posted above is showing the plant in its green winter coloring. It grays up considerably once it goes back outside.

rjm, I really think that Altman's has the images for bolusii and festivus swapped. Every other image of bolusii I've seen has show slightly wavy leaf edges. That image of bolusii is the one that first got me thinking that my plant was indeed bolusii, but after doing more research I realized that my plant is unusual in that it has smooth leaf edges, yet it has the elongated, plump leaves and coloration of bolusii. It has been very frustrating and confusing!

On top of that it seems that the specific names bolusii, cooperi, and festivus are used synonymously. Yet, the plants are quite distinctive from each other. It's going to take some real convincing to make me think my plant is A. bolusii. LOL Can you tell I've been working on this one for too long?

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Tropicals info on A. cooperi

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, you've confirmed my worst fears, I don't think its a Stomatium. Stomatium absolutely have nocturnal flowers which are strongly scented. The flower on your's reminds me very much of a Faucaria, although it would seem be flowering a little late. I'll try and see if there is another genus which might be a match.

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Rosemarie,
    Adromischus bolusii is now a syn of Adromischus caryophyllaceus but I don't think that the pic of A.bolusii is A.caryophyllaceus which nomally has no markings on the leaves and are pointed.
    Regarding your Stomatium your plant could be Faucaria bosscheana.
    Niel

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Amy, thanks for the pic & info. I am thinking you & I have the same plant. Now...just to figure out which it is!! :D

I've been running all over the place (figuratively speaking...online) looking for stuff all morning! Thanks to Shrubs n bulbs & Niel, now I'm on the hunt for a Adromischus cooperi guy (back to that) & Faucaria, be it bosscheana or other. Most Faucaria bosscheana I've found have a white stripe on the edge of the leaves. Thanks for the help, guys!

I forgot to watch to see if that flower would open again--I think it's spent though.

Thanks for the info & input! I appreciate it!
    ~Rosemarie

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Rosemarie,
    Regarding your Stomatium pics your left hand shot
    the bottom leaves appear to have white edges to them which drew me to Faucaria bosscheana or is it a trick of the light which makes them appear white edged.
    Your plant does resemble a Faucaria but it is not a common one, well here in the UK that is.
    I forgot too to thankyou for the info on the Aloe and I still haven't forgotten the Aloe bakeri flowers with our poor winter light levels it has taken the plant about 6-8 weeks to extend its flower stalk but so far the flowers have not opened.
    Niel.

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Back again ~

Yes, it was a trick with the lighting, Niel...it has no white edge...dern! I just checked the tag that came with it. I never believe what they say, most times anyway...but maybe I should've paid attention. I saw the name Stomatium & started research from there. The tag says it's a hybrid between Stomatiuum and Faucaria & calling it Miniature Tiger Jaws. Sooo...do any of you know of hybrids between these two?

And...when I just looked, the bloom is halfway open & it's midday here...so is it confused as to which one it is? LOL~ Ha! I can detect no fragrance from it either.

Onto another...here's a pic of that Haworthia after it got a drink & repotting. Also a pic of it next to Haworthia cuspidata on the right. Do you see what I mean about these being tiny rosettes? So, any clue as to what it is?
    {{gwi:463463}} {{gwi:463466}}

Niel, here's that Aloe of mine, blooming again. This time the buds were not yellow & I've put it in full sun, making the leaves turn a brown shade.
    {{gwi:463469}}
    I look forward to your bloom pic, Niel!

AND...here's a pic from bk in Sep of that 1st Aoe which I had tentatively ID'd as Aloe 'Wamsley's Blue' (I forgot). Does anyone have this that might be able to confirm?

{{gwi:463427}}

~Rosemarie, swimming in confusion

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

ro, that aloe is a cutey! i will be watching for a positive id. - jo

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I love it! Hybrids of Faucaria with another genus are unusual, although they are very promiscuous with other Faucaria. I've read of Faucaria/Stomatium hybrids, they are relatively closely related, but I've never seen one. It does look like they just got "small" from the Stomatium and everything else is Faucaria.

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jo!

I love it too, shrubs n bulbs! I've only found one reference to a Faucaria-Stomatium hybrid & no pic. Guess I'll have to wait for others to post pix somewhere on the web! What you say makes sense. Guess I can tag this guy afterall!

Now...ANYone have suggestions on that first Aloe or those teeny rosettes of a Haworthia?

Thanks a bunch for all comments, folks!
    ~Rosemarie

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Rosemarie,
    Could only find one reference to your
    Faucaria/Stomatium cross.
    You may be able to contact someone there for further info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucaria/Stomatium cross

• Denise
    18 years ago

Hi Rosemarie,

There are a few of the tiny Haworthias. Cuspidata, as you obviously know, is one of the bigger, chunkier ones. The leaves of your little one look very similar to the leaves of cuspidata, so I'm wondering if it's maybe a hybrid of cuspidata and one of the little ones. Some that come to mind are harlingii, reticulata, possibly even chloracantha. All have much pointier leaves than yours, but if crossed with cuspidata, yours might be what you would get. Identifying Haworthia hybrids is almost impossible if you don't get the information from your source (which is rare, I might add!)

Denise in Omaha

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Niel...that's the one & only reference I could find as well. Maybe I will contact someone there to see what I can find out. :)

Thanks for the names, Denise. I'll be checking out those & see what else I find as I go. Yes, hybrids of these guys are near impossible to figure out...as with any without documentation. :( There was only one of these where I bought it, so who knows! The markings on it do look like cuspidata to me, so a mix with a smaller rosette type makes sense to me.

More mysteries to solve! :)
    ~Rosemarie

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, if you click on the link below, and do a search for Faucaria, you'll see the Faucaria-Stomatium hybrid they list. I had one previously, but it never bloomed, and didn't look quite the same as your specimen.
    Ray

Here is a link that might be useful: Altmans library

• rosemariero
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Funny, Ray! Between my last post & yours, I found that listing at Altmans. The plant came from them (I believe) and I figured they should have it listed. Your'e right, though, it doesn't look like mine. That seems to be crossed with F. bosscheana with the white edge.

Intersting, at the library, when I seached Faucaria, that one did not come up. Only when I searched Stomatium did it come up, but not if I went in alpha order. Ha! They have an ornery search engine!

Thanks for the help, Ray! I'll keep looking!
    ~R

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Altman's plant doesn't look as pretty as your's.