Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

missing name tag

ariole
17 years ago

About an inch across when picture was made. It's growing. I think I know the name. What do you think?

Al

{{gwi:463484}}

Comments (7)

• Pieter
    17 years ago

Hi,
    What about Aeonium tabulaeforme, the crested form?
    Pieter

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

I recently had some Aeonium tabulaeforme (the crested form) for a while from Dr. Barad (so I'd trust the ID). It didn't have these hairy, toothy edges. leaves were a bit less eliptical too, if memory serves.

I'm almost wondering some kind of bizarre crested Ech?

• ariole
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This plant was a gift from Jerry Barad this past summer. And that was the name. I regret posting this fuzzy pic. If light is good I'll photograph an updated view, possibly tomorrow. I was on the look-out for someone who might fit the description of a pirate girl at this summer gathering.

Pieter and Ms. Pirate, you both deserve a prize.

Al

• ariole
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Decided to try a pic with a flash. Not much better pic.

It's in a 3" pot.

Click for larger image.

Al

{{gwi:463485}}

• Pieter
    17 years ago

I can't find a better match then a crested A. tabulaeforme, my (normal) plant had these hairs as well. When the plant grows it might become clear what it really is.
    Pieter

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Al,

Na, the prize is really Pieter's I just came along for the ride ;>)

Well (I since lost this plant, died back in sections don't know why), I don't recall this hairiness. I'm guessing yours could use more sun, mine stayed more clump-like.

Given the size of Jerry's collection, could it be he's got various versions/varieties of this?

Not a criticism per se, but more an observation: I bought a variegated Haworthia truncata from him last summer (diff. than most truncata forms I've seen), I thought he might have been more specific on which form of truncata (as to parentage, etc.), but hey, maybe that's just me.

If we both end up at Jerry's next summer (I haven't worn an eye patch in 6+ yrs., but that's why I took that handle); I can usually be found either in the greenhouses or the Pool, especially around 1:00 when his Caralumas are at their stinkiest! You'll have to drop me some clues as to what you might look like!

(PG) Karen

• cochemiea
    17 years ago

The fimbriate leaf edges and flattened rosettes qualify this as Aeonium tabuliforme (the spelling tabulaeforme, I understand, is not correct). The plant appears to be grotesquely etiolated yet the rosettes are still flat, peculiar. You should try it in stronger light to see how the plant transforms.
    wrt truncata, Pirate Girl, have you seen David Martin's site:
    http://www.haworthia.com/Species/truncata.htm
    Marvellous!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County