Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified Purple-Colored Plant (Succulent?), California

Posted by ssoda909 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 0:33

This little guy was a stow-away in a $2 potted "Pregnant Onion" plant I bought at OSH earlier this week. If it is, in fact, some type of succulent, then it's certainly a welcome (not to mention, a bargain) addition to my little succulent family... but I cannot find a name for it anywhere. Surely, one of you out there can help? (Pretty please.)

Image link: Unidentified Purple-Colored Plant (Succulent?), California (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified Purple-Colored Plant (Succulent?), California

Kalanchoe daigremontiana

o

That's it! Thanks so much. :o)

o

Buckle your seat belt! From what I've heard, Kalanchoe daigremontiana may not be such a welcome addition to your collection after all, IF you're not careful. As adults, they form a baby plantlet in every notch of the leaves, giving rise to the common name "Mother of Thousands". It is a beautiful plant, to be sure, but those plantlets have been known to grow in the oddest places. Check out http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2007/11/evil-genius-kalanchoe-daigremontiana.html.

o

Yes, I had Googled it and learned as much shortly after finding out the name, and had begun to wonder if I really was as happy about having it as I initially thought. Thanks for the additional info. It helps to hear that I'm not the only one who'd be skeptical to keep it. I may end up just getting rid of it, after all.

o

For this one, let's go for K. houghtonii. (previously Bryophyllum 'Houghton's Hybrid').
K daigremontiana has turned up leaf edges where the base connects to the petiole. The plant shown does not.

Al

o

I always think this is a fun plant to share w/little kids. They can enjoy seeing how it grows its little babies.

In some cases this is a very unwelcome & invasive plant. I've heard stories that it will take root in drapes, carpets, virtually anywhere. so pls. be forwarded.

Also, if you don't move it away from your other potted plants, it's likely to start popping up in your other pots nearby.

o

Excuse me, pardon my typo. In the next to the last sentence I meant to type pls. be forewarned.

o

I own one of these and they are very nice and can grow very tall with orange flowers. If you keep it in a pot with it's own suckers it was quite a sight and rather expensive to purchase. I've recently found one of this shape growing in the garden but it is all dark green with white edges. It got tall and bent over so that the heavy top rooted and is growing so it is propigating itself before it has a chance to make little planets.

o

Looks like K. serrata to me

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here