Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are we in the Canary Islands? not quite...

Posted by euphorbphreak z10 SF (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 1:31

Some friends and I went for a walk Monday down to Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower, which I (shamefully) admit I've never been to in my 12 years in San Francisco. We approached from the west side to the Filbert Stairs, and I saw something that just left me dumbstruck--an entire 500 foot granite cliffside covered completely in Aeoniums! You can only imagine my excitement (my friends thought I was nuts, but I know you understand.) And many were in bloom too!

Here's some shots...all the bright green stuff is Aeoniums. And the shrubs filling in between them are Echium candicans. Such a perfect Canary Island match.

Climbing the Filbert stairs to the top was only better seeing these fine plants all around. And the view from the top wasn't bad either.

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are we in the Canary Islands? not quite...

• Posted by jview Z7a NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 11:01

MAGNIFICENT! Thank you so much for sharing.

Jerry

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 5:13

I have never seen a hill of aeoniums planted like that. I wish more people would plant like that it is a great fire break & landslide prevention idea. It looks like the aeoniums & echiums at the top of are flowering it must look great when in full bloom. That hill must re-seed like crazy.
That is a beautiful picture of the bay.

o

Dear David,

Indeed, sir, a lovely shot. One can quite imagine that one is in Tenerife rather than in California....

o

David,
Can/do you ever collect any seed? I'd be willing to buy some.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

o

Imagine seeing that when theyre all in flower at once!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here