Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe ID please

Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 1:40

This came out of a private collection. A guy working the sale said he thought it was "Walmsley's Green". I have heard of and even own "Walmsley's Blue", but had never heard of the green. Any suggestions on this would be welcomed.

Image link: Aloe ID please (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe ID please

• Posted by rpw53 z9 LA gulfcoast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 7:48

Looks more like an agave...
Are you sure that is an aloe?
Peyton

o

I had the same question when purchased. I was assured by two knowledgeable succulent folks it is an aloe. Maybe I'll post it again and see if anyone thinks it's an agave.

o

Without seeing the plant in person, I have to agree with Peyton - sure looks like an agave. Stiff black terminal spine, recurved spines along leaf margins... both say "agave" to me. The third & final clue would be to break off a leaf - fibrous=agave, gelatinous=aloe.

It appears to me to be a pot full of rooted bulbils of a medium-sized agave. At this juvenile stage, it's difficult to say which species.

This is just MHO, of course. And I've never heard of "Walmsley's Green" anything.

o

I need to throw my hat in the ring, Agave. Definitely check a leaf as Patrick suggested, but I think you find it to be fibrous. This spring, separate them, pot up (or plant out if in a mild climate) and see where it takes you. Could be some nice plants there.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

o

Dear Borrego,

I know that Aloe 'Walmsley's Blue' and 'Walmsley's Bronze' exist, but, like Patrick, the appelation 'Walmsley's Green' is a new one. I don't know if it's new or a creation of the marketing department of a nursery.

o

To add further intrigue here, these were seed grown with a date of 10/25/01. I am going to do a leaf cutting. Details to follow.

o

Borrego,

Leaf cuttings? Aloes ain't Gasterias or Haworthias.....

o

Mr. Harris, the lightning quick witted one. As Patrick suggested, I am doing a leaf test to assist in determining familial alliance.

o

The leaf tear revelaed the the fibrous nature of it. I have emailed the resident agave sleuth (Peyton) with additional photos. I'm sure he will chime in later with additional information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here