Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick agave macrocantha

Posted by matucana (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 4:30

Hi,

This one looked wonderful but started a few weeks ago to shrimble and get black leaves. First i thought it didn't get water anough although this seemes to me strange in a cold winter.
Can it be the umidity or cold temparature(min 3 degrees)
that can cause this? Can i do something?

Thanks for any help

Hans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick agave macrocantha

This looks like frost damage to me. If it is in a cold exposure situation I would withold water, they can go a very long time without a drink, especially in winter. The damaged leaves will continue to dry up and could be removed without hurting the plants health. Can you move it to a warmer area or cover it when the temps dip below 40F? This is not a cold hardy Agave. It is a zone 9 to 11 plant. This could help it from happening again. These guys are generally hard to kill but sometimes easy to beat up.

Hope this helps,
Gil

o

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.
I will move it to a warmer place but initially it seemed to me strange because i have a lot of cacti and even euphorbia that don' seem to care about this minimum temperature(3 degrees and not -3 degrees).
I thought that agave were even tougher.

Best regards,

Hans

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The minimum temperature is 3 degrees and all of my other cacti and even euphorbia don't seem to care.

Greetings,

Hans

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 23:16

If it is an Oxaca native, it should be used to more warmth. According to the site below the minimum is 5 degrees C, and it sounds like your temp is too low. I assume you are giving your temp in centigrade.

Do you have a dehumidifier? That might help. You might want to watch the lower leaves for rot progression to the stem. If that occurs, it can kill the plant.

You also need to make sure you have the right soil mix.

http://www.aridhouse.btinternet.co.uk/aridhouse/agaves/agave_macrocantha.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here