Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help My Ghost Cactus

Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 10:34

This is how it was when I got it. Told it was sunburned. I have two questions about it. First, will it grow out of the sunburn damage, or will the discoloration always be there? Will the spots continue to grow as the plant does? Secondly, what has caused the 90 degree bend in the plant? Should it be cut and replanted or do I have one heck of a conversation piece if I leave it as is?

Image link: Please Help My Ghost Cactus (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help My Ghost Cactus

Borrego,
It is an EUPHORBIA LACTEA V. VARIEGATA, ghost plant. Yes the scaring will be there until it gets old enough to form a bark covered trunk, long time. As far as the bend, could be a number of things, too much water fertilizer, light direction, something laid on it :-) If I were to make a cut, I would cut in two places. At the fist joint, just above the first branching. Wash the cuts well under flowing water to remove all the latex (it hinders root growth), use a rooting hormone and keep warm (under pot heat mats are ideal for this). I took some cuttings of E. canariensis this fall and kept them on heat and under close lights all winter and they are all well rooted now.
After the cuttings all root/branch/grow, then you will want to keep them in good light. The stump will put up new branches and should in time cover up all the scarring.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here