Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_harris_gw

Spike for Shelly

jeffrey_harris
18 years ago

Take a normally greenish Aloe deltoideodonta v. contigua f. latifolia, depend on just the rain to water it, and when there's very little rain, don't supplementally water it, don't fertilize it - in fact, benignly ignore it, and still, it throws up a flower spike. I tell ya, Shelly, those Aloes are difficult to beat as far as plants you can ignore and not put them at peril.

{{gwi:463902}}

Comments (11)

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Jeffrey

I've become a aloeholic and it's largely your fault. Thanks!

randy

• fishies
    18 years ago

Jeffrey! I live in Ontario! I can't leave my plants outside. Oh, I'm doomed to kill aloes forever. I know it. The aloes know it. It's just all so sad.

sigh.

Shelly

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Nice!!
    Any chance you have two of those to make some seeds???
    Peyton

• karen715
    18 years ago

I too have become an aloeholic since Jeffrey (and others) started posting pictures. Such beauty, such variety, such puppiferousness!

Shelly, don't despair. I can only put my aloes out from late May until early October, if I'm lucky. I've had Marlotthii (sp?) indoors for 3 winters, with the best light I can give it, (south window) and water every couple of weeks. (I know one cannot generalize about a watering schedule--suffice it to say that I let it dry out then stay that way for a while before watering again.) I've had eight other aloes (one Juvenna and one Variegata, six NOIDs) for about seven months, and they've seemed quite happy indoors this winter with pretty much the same treatment. They seem to adapt to the indoors in winter/outdoors in summer life much better than some other succulents, like Echeverias, which stretch out and look like hell.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Jeff,

You always knock my socks off!

Denise in Omaha

• karen715
    18 years ago

You know, I prattled on and on there without mentioned what a gorgeous plant that is.

That Aloe is positively stunning.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Jeff - incredible plant!
    randy/karen - me too!
    Denise - lol!
    jo

• borrego
    18 years ago

"Your Honor, I would like to officially recommend Jeff be charged with intentional Aloe neglect. At least some I have are acquired that way, his are GROWN that way."
    "Mr. Borrego, are you insinuating Jeff is not properly caring for his aloes? How can you argue with the results?"
    "Your Honor, I can not."

• deefar
    18 years ago

Jeff, that is one beautiful aloe. So nicely grown. Thanks for sharing!!

Dawn

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Randy,

Welcome to the fold/cult/appreciation society - there's plenty of room.

Dear Shelly,

Abandon ye not hope.

Dear Peyton,

No, I don't - just clones of the same plant, not the best material for botanical diversity.

Dear Karen,

You prattle wonderfully (let no one say otherwise) and your aloeicious wisdom flows like the Orange River in floodtime.

Dear Denise,

Oh my! I'm glad Remo isn't too jealous.

Dear Jo,

Thanks!

Dear Borrego,

In my defense, I cater to my adoring public's desires, for without them, what am I?

Dear Dawn,

Thanks, but really, I had very little to do with it.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

That is one red Aloe,cool!