Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vilcat

A cactus, Euphorbia, and two Aloes

vilcat
18 years ago

Here are a few more plants that need IDs. The cactus looks smaller in the picture than it actually is (it's 8" in diameter), and is 47 years old. It is slightly columnar but only slightly.

The Euphorbia is about 5 1/2' tall.

The tag on the Aloe (the green one) says it's a tiger aloe, but I need confirmation from you guys before I believe it. The one in the foreground I don't have a clue to what it is, it is in bloom right now.

Thanks again for you help.

{{gwi:463956}}

{{gwi:463959}}

{{gwi:463961}}

Comments (21)

• fishies
    18 years ago

I have no ids to give you, except that the photo on the bottom looks like some kind of cereus. But I do have effusive congrats on the beauty of your greenhouse! It's gorgeous!!

Shelly

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Shelly,
    If you saw the greenhouse in its entirety you would say differently. I try to leave out the dead, dying plants, and extra junk that accumulates there. I have started spring cleaning a little early this year, so things are looking up.

Kathy

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

The first is Echinocactus grusonii, Golden barrel, or "Mother-in-law seat".

The second is not Aloe variegata, tiger aloe or partridge breast aloe, which is not 'toothy'. Other will have a better idea of your plants real identity. But it is a gorgeous specimen, whatever it's proper name.

The last is Euphorbia ingens, or ammak, or some other similar columnar euphorb.

Nice plants you have there!

• karen715
    18 years ago

Lovely plants Kathy. The pretty green aloe behind the gorgeous reddish one looks like it could be Aloe juvenna. I haven't a clue as to what the other plants might be.

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

I definitely vote for euphorbia ingens on #3.

The reddish aloe is indeed lovely, and I'm guessing it's a hybrid. I have one called "Brass Hat" that is a possibility - it's hard to get a sense of the leaf size.

• fishies
    18 years ago

The photo of ingens on Frank's euphorbia site is really different than what Kathy has. However, a google search of ingens shows a bunch of photos of exactly what Kathy has. And yet, I trust Frank's site implicitly.

How to reconcile this dilemma?

Here is a link that might be useful: euphorbias... euphorbii?

• erichel
    18 years ago

In my opinion the front aloe is aloe jucunda, the aloe in the back is aloe juvenna.

Greetings,

Eric
    The Netherlands

• Denise
    18 years ago

The front Aloe might be a hybrid that includes jucunda, but it doesn't seem compact enough to be jucunda. The color implies plenty of light, so I don't think that's the issue. The markings do look right for jucunda.

I have 'Brass Hat' and it has no signs whatsoever of the markings, but it was my first thought also with the growth habit. Here's mine...
    {{gwi:463974}}

All very nicely grown plants, Kathy!

Denise in Omaha

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Shelly, you wrote: "The photo of ingens on Frank's euphorbia site is really different than what Kathy has. However, a google search of ingens shows a bunch of photos of exactly what Kathy has. And yet, I trust Frank's site implicitly."

Unless they grow E. ingens very differently in Germany, I think this is one case where you should trust the majority. I think the plant he's showing is something else. I'll try to get a pic of mine growing in-ground - it came from an unimpeachable source, so I know it's the real thing...

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Shelly,

Be prepared.

If what I have seen of SouCal in-the-ground Euphorbia ingens is any indication of what Patrick is going to show us, it's going to be a big one. One might confuse them with trees, because that's exactly what they grow into.

An error at Epuphorbia Frank's site? Say it ain't so.....

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

I suspect it is the lack of markings like shown on Frank's site that is causing confusion. The text on his igens page specifically mentions that "there are forms with beautiful markings as well as without any marking. With the age the ribs become wavy."

One problem with succulent identification is the sometimes highly variable form and markings of some plants. Add differing ages and cultural conditions, and it should be no surprise that web images of succulents can be misleading.

I will of course accept Frank's opinion of the proper name of the plant in question, but I don't think that just because Frank's example looks superficially different, Kathy's plant is not E. ingens.

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

ItÂs not an error but maybe too little explained.

Plants of E. ingens can look quite different depending on whether they are stems (multi-angled) or branches (4-angled) and as well depending on their age. Plants grown from seed in their juvenile stage, as I'm showing on my website, have straight angles and frequently remarkable patterns. Their advantage is that they grow slow and can be kept indoors for many years.
    With the age they grow faster and faster and in the end turn into the adult form. The markings fade and frequently the angles become undulated. The plants in trade are mainly rooted branches of such adult plants. Their disadvantage is that they grow too fast to be kept indoors for a longer time.

As rooted branches of E. ingens, candelabrum (that maybe is the east African form of E. ingens) and ammak look almost same they are hard to tell apart.
    Not clearly visible in the photo is one detail that will help to ID the plant.
    The spine shields of ...
    - E. ingens are circular (about 5 mm in diameter) and become corky with the age.
    - E. candelabrum are triangular with one angle pointing down and also become corky with the age.
    - E. ammak are again triangular with one angle pointing down but do not become corky.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

It's not THAT big, Jeff... :-) This one is about 10 years old, and 10-11 ft. tall.

{{gwi:463975}}

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a close-up of the spine shields. I'm still not sure...I need someone with a trained eye like yours Frank.

Also, here is another Euphorbia that needs a name...I'm pathetic at this.

Thanks.

{{gwi:463964}}
    {{gwi:463967}}

Kathy

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

that is an excellent and informative explanation, Frank - I never knew that there is a difference between seedlings and rooted branches, but it makes sense. And you're right, most of what is in the trade here (including my big one) are cuttings taken from adult plants. In fact, the one pictured began as a branch salvaged from another large ingens that fell over about 8 years ago.
    Plus, size is not an issue for me, since I don't need to keep them inside.

Thank you for the education! That's what I love about coming here.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I dont see any aloe variegata in there, could it be squorrosa? (Pic 2)
    Juvenna in the background tho.

Number 3, is that a Lemaireocereus?

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Nope.

;)

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Kathy,
    the spine shields are definately not circular. I would call this plant E. ammak.
    The other plant is the spineless form of Euphorbia heterochroma ssp. heterochroma.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

Here is a link that might be useful: E. heterochroma ssp. heterochroma

• fishies
    18 years ago

Frank - thank you so much for the clarification! I was sure there had to be some explanation :)

Patrick - Jeff wasn't kidding when he said you'd post a big honkin' ol' tree! That is HUGE!

Shelly

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Frank,
    I'm sure glad to know what these Euphorbias are, especially the E. heterochroma ssp. heterochroma. The picture only shows the top of one branch of the plant, the rest of the plant is kind of snake-like.

Kathy

• maureen1952
    16 years ago

I can't view your photos. Can you tell me why

Sponsored