Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paracelsus

Simply Aloelicious!

paracelsus
18 years ago

{{gwi:464005}}

Aloes spinosissima and polyphylla yesterday.

Comments (11)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Stunning!!!

Jen

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I love that spinosissima,very nice!
    Is that a small Aloe, one small enough to accomodate in a pot?

• imjustgil
    18 years ago

VERY nice. I like the Agave too!

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

What beauties, and those flowers are simply gorgeous!

On a different note: Ever since seeing a picture of part of your garden a long time ago, I've been meaning to ask you, Paracelsus, what those stones are that you use as surface dressing. And where do you get them in such quantities that you can afford to spread them around on the ground? I have fallen in love with their smoothness, egg-shapes, and above all, with their delicate color variations.

• paracelsus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the comments all!

Larry, spinosissima will eventually grow quite large in the ground but you could keep it in pots for many years. It just won't grow quite as large. My plant is going to have to be moved soon because the polyphylla next door is taking over precious real estate.

Biwako, the pebbles come from a local stone and soil supplier (Lyngso). This is a smooth pebble called 'salmon bay'. At the yard there are many types of small stones and gravel. The salmon bay stone cost around $4 per cubic foot. I think I bought a total of round 8 bags to cover my 100 sq foot bed. That does not seem too extravagant too me.

Check you yellow pages under landscaping for stone and gravel suppliers. They generally deal with lanscaping contractors buying many cubic yards of materials but most places are friendly to people buying small quantities of materials. Go to a yard and shovel your own selection of soils/gravels/pumice/pebbles into large sacks. I buy all my potting supplies this way and save at least 50% over pre-packaged materials from HD or OSH.

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

Thanks, Para. Now it occurs to me that I should have been looking around more at Hansen's Aggregate in San Diego, where I buy my coir in 2cu.ft. bags. Here's hoping they have salmon bay stones! The price you quote is certainly reasonable, and I'm sure Hansen's won't be asking a lot more--IF they have the stones! They are so beautiful that I couldn't imagine them at a place that sells out of huge concrete bins.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Larry, spinosissima will eventually grow quite large in the ground but you could keep it in pots for many years. It just won't grow quite as large.

Thanks Paracelsus,now will it flower in a pot-I really like the colour!

• Denise
    18 years ago

Para,

What's the diameter of those polyphyllas? They're awsome!

Denise in Omaha

• deefar
    18 years ago

Those are beautiful aloes. Thanks for sharing

Dawn

• paracelsus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Larry, yes, like other aloes it should flower in a pot given the right amount of light and seasonal temperature changes.

Denise, the one in the foreground is now 24 inches diameter. The one behind is 22 inches. Both stand about 13-14 inches off the ground. When I put them into the ground in May '03 they were each about 12 inches in diameter.

They are nearing maturity and I am hoping for flowers in another year or two. They are the stars of my garden. Other plants are going to be moved soon to give them room to expand more. A. polyphylla can reach 36 inches diameter and extend upwards to form a large ball instead of the saucer shape they have now.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Thanks Para, one to look out for!

Sponsored