Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus Identification

Posted by cactusboy (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 06 at 16:12

I've had this thing for 35 years. It flowers in February with tiny pink flowers.

Any ideas?
Ive posted some pictures of the cactus here.
http://www.crwphoto.com/Cactus/Cactus_Identification.html

Image link: Cactus Identification (5 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus Identification

Hi,

Looks to be some sort of Mammillaria. I cant tell for certain, the pic is a little blurry. Maybe someone knows for sure.

Jen

o

• Posted by joyce Zone 7b LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 11, 06 at 16:35

Should be called Mammillaria lilliputiana.

o

When I first looked at your pic Mammillaria prolifera came to mind. Does it get red seed pods, kinda large for the small size of the plant? I no longer keep prolifera but remember the flowers as more yellow than pink.

There are also some very small Escobarias.

Al

o

And then there is Mammillaria glassii. This is my plant and it is blooming today. Flowers small and pink but the individual heads on mine might be a tad larger than yours.

Al

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

It might be Mammillaria prolifera var. texana I'm still looking for good pictures for comparison. Yes it will get red seed pods but they remain very small. I think we nailed the family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enlargements for Identification

o

Al your Mamm is absolutely stunning! WOW : )

Jen

o

G'day cactusboy, I think Mammillaria prolifera var. texana is the correct name for this one, I no longer have one of these, but yours is just as I remember mine!

CP

o

Thanks guys

cactusboy

o

Looks like vetula ssp gracilis to me.
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

I looks like Mammillaria prolifera ssp arachnoidea. Nice plant.

o

Hi,
There are no forms of M. profifera known that have pink flowers, all have flowers in shades of yellow.
There do however exist some forms and cultivars of M. gracilis with pink flowers, but I don't think these do exist 35 years already (well 38 in the meantime).
A detailed picture is needed to tell something for sure.
Pieter

o
RE: Cactus Identification - update

I just looked at the added link with more pictures. The plant does look a lot like M. prolifera, but the flowers should be yellow. Possible?

o

Wow! Cool looking Plant! has anyone figured out what it is?
Cactusboy, Has your plant ever made fruit and seeds? Don't suppose you have any seeds to spare? Or maybe a had or two that may have come lose? :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here