Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vilcat

More pics!

vilcat
18 years ago

Here are some more pictures that could use some IDs. I really need the ID of the skinny cactus in the foreground of the picture with the Bowiea in the background (last photo). The cactus usually has thick fleshy green leaves but in the winter when I stop watering it, the leaves dry up and fall off. I have recently resumed watering and you can see the new leaves at the tip of the stems. The cactus in the picture is a cutting, the mother plant is about 5' tall but just as skinny and very gangly.

Kathy

{{gwi:464517}}

{{gwi:464520}}

{{gwi:464523}}

{{gwi:464525}}

Comments (6)

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Boy, that plant (#4) sure wants to be outside! It's pretty gangly. Does it have sticky white sap when you nick it or break off a leaf? If so, I'm thinking synadenium - but it's hard to be sure with such lanky growth and so few leaves. Others will doubtless weigh in with other opinions.

Photo #1 is a beautiful gasteria - I can't tell you which one. I have the same one, but it came to me unnamed. The fuzzy grean-leafed plant behind it is Cotyledon ladismithienses, a.k.a. bear's paw. I don't usually like cutesy common names, but that one's pretty accurate.

#2 is a really cool senecio, whose species name escapes me right now. #3, upper left, is haworthia truncata; the plant in the foreground is some type of sedum, I'm guessing.

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patrick,
    The gangly cactus is a true cactus that I believe may grow near larger plants in the wild and scramble up them. as the stem ages, it becomes woody and not a whole lot thicker. The closest ID I came up with was Quiabentia chacoensis, but the long spines are present on new growth and the one I have doesn't get the long spines until the stem ages somewhat. The leaves are thick and fleshy. It isn't a Pereskia either.
    I have had the mother plant for seventeen years and always cut it back and TRY to give cuttings away, but nobody likes the tiny hair-like barbs that are hard to remove from your skin, kinda like an Opuntia. I've often thought it may be some type of Opuntia, but have never been able to confirm that.

Kathy

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Patrick,
    That is some Gasteria in pic one. The Scrambling cactus in pic four is a type of Pereskiopsis, I donâÂÂt know the species. They can become a large shrub or scramble into other shrubs or trees. They make excellent grafting stock for seedlings.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• erichel
    18 years ago

Kathy,

I think you have a gasteria excelsa on pic #1.
    ( check it at www.gasteria.org )

Eric
    The Netherlands

• rjm710
    18 years ago

I agree that the Gasteria looks like excelsa, and that one's a beauty! Just wait until it grows up (excelsa is the largest Gasteria). How do you grow your Cotyledon? Mine seem to linger, and slowly lose their leaves, eventually perishing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gasteria excelsa

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

rjm710,
    My Cotyledon gets put outside in the summer (June -sept), and it gets virtually no water, full winter sun, and cool temperatures in the winter. My plants get their share of neglect in the winter months.

And thanks to everyone for their help in identifing my plants.

Kathy

Sponsored