Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_gw

noid labeled as hanging basket hatoria at hd

Joyce
18 years ago

Any ideas?

Rosemary Ro, when I tried to Google, your image came up but the link was broken, posted at GardenWeb. Do you have this and do you know what it is?

{{gwi:464584}}

I bought 2 for $3.99 each, planning on doing succulents in my front walk urns this year, want a trailing succulent to spill over the edges. This is how they looked last year but I had to water them about 5 gallons each every day.

{{gwi:60907}}

I'll leave the New Zealand Flax (alive and well in the garage right now) as the centerpiece, but wanna do foliage succulents all around the New Zealand Flax.

Comments (9)

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Joyce,
    Your plants look more like a type of Crassula rather than Hatiora. I'm sorry, I don't know the species. Good luck with them.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• Joyce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dan, I thought so too.
    Almost ALL the little 3" pots were mislabeled, from customers reading labels and then shoving them back into the wrong pots. In fact one of my pots was labeled Kalanchoe thrysifolia. (rolling eyes here)

I should go back and get 2 Kalanchoe thrysifolias, cuz they were nicely colored up. They also had the tri-colored Echeverias. (can't think of the name) They'd look good for foliage too. And they had a ton of C. 'Campfire' too. I would REALLY like to get 2 nice sized string of pearls for these urns.
    In about 2 months we should be frost free here. :)

• Joyce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They did not have any plant that looked like a Hatoria to me.
    So maybe these were mislabeled at the growers.

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hi Joyce, you might have an Othonna capensis there, it has leaves similar to some crassula's (such as the sedums) as Dan suggests, but it is actually related to the senecio (as part of the family Asteraceae). In my experience this size/shape of the leaves is quite variable.
    It make a pretty little hanging basket plant, and produces beautiful little yellow daisy like flowers. If indeed O. capensis is what you have you will indeed enjoy it's lovely hanging habit and perky little flowers.
    check out this link!

Cheers, CP

• Joyce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CP, you may be right. :)
    I have grown that before...in my birdbath succulent garden.
    {{gwi:464585}}

Well, we'll have to wait and see.
    I really hope it's an Othonna because it would look GREAT cascading over the edge of the urns,especially with the yellow blooms.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I don't know what it is but I have to comment on how spectacular that last picture is. Thanks for posting it.

• rjm710
    18 years ago

It reminds me of a plant I've seen labeled as Cotyledon sinus-alexandri, aka Tylecodon sinus-alexandra, or T. schaeferanus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tylecodon shaefferianus

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi joyce,

there's a crassula at home depot right now that looks very much like your two, but i can't remember the speices! if they were labeled as hatioras, maybe they were thinking of rhipsalis mesembryanthemoides? i have that one and those aren't it.

-ming

• Joyce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Ming.
    Are you all settled in to your new home?
    Cuz I have a s___load of Begonia richardsiana for you. :)
    (A little leggy, but LOTS of them)

Sponsored