Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Tylecodon reticulata

ariole
18 years ago

It's been a looong time since I sowed Tylecodon seeds and might never do it ever again. Just for the fun of it I've recently considered taking cuttings---

But that's another story.

[Young Jeffrey Harris has made me double cautious with these poisonous critters]

I was out in the g/h a few minutes ago to see if I could find any

evidence of flowers starting on my ancient pair of T reticulata. Nada!

And then I spotted this artifact, it had become dis-attached and was

hanging up in the foliage.

{{gwi:464592}}

ItÂs a leaf.

What are the chances of Tylecodon leaves producing plants???

I'm now eyeing my only T. wallichii with evil intentions.

But I want a knobbier one than mine.

Al

Comments (5)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Are Tylecodon difficult from seed, Al? I don't ask purely out of intellectual curiosity ;) In particular, have you ever tried T. singularis?

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When it comes to Tylecodon singularis, Shrubs, I've never seen the actual plant. I almost did. A friend purchased one and I had plans to view it. It was a little low thing, a bit like a small crocus corm. It turned to mush a few days before my arrival. One atypically large leaf survived to be laminated. It was a sad event as special blackish stones had been purchased for a habitat-like top dressing. There were plans for exibiting at a regional C&S event. [In spite of it being obviously collected.] We all know what those shows are like. I've trained myself to never again resurrect that subject, even after the required number of beverages.

I've successfully grown Tylecodon shaefferianus and T. paniculatus from seed (T. shaefferianus was slow and my seed had poor germination while the T. paniculatus was just the opposite) and maintained Tylecodon luteosquamata and T. hallii for many years. Sadly, my sole survivors are a non-typical Tylecodon wallichii and two especially fine Tylecodon reticulata.

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The single large leaf might not have been atypical. The name of the plant comes from its growth habit, which is to produce a single large leaf from the crocus bulb. Plants in cultivation often produce multiple leaves. Do you think the local show would have appreciated the pseudo-habitat limestone dressing?

Do you think now is a good time to sow the seed? Or better in late summer?

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I suspect there is scant time remaining for seedlings to build reserves at this time. I would do the late summer sowing.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Al,

I'd sow the seeds in the fall - that way, they've got the whole growing season to grow, but that's just me, and I've not yet been brave enough to grow from seed.

That sure looks like roots to me! As you know, most other Crassulaceae will grow roots from leaves, so why not Tylecodon....but I wonder what happens when it comes to dormancy time.

That's a nice pioc - hope you get it rooted.

Yes, they're poisonous, but it you take care with them (like not mistaking a cutting for an edible swizzle stick during martini time, something I've heard you Terrapins engage in) you'll be OK.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor