Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladynine

Help with my new Easter/Christmas Cactus

ladynine
18 years ago

I have just inherited an old cactus from my great aunt. She has had it forever and it seems in desperate need of repotting. It has just travelled about 5 hours to get to me in a nice warm car and was well looked after for the trip. However, I know just the moving alone, nevermind the actual trip and now the new home is rough on a plant so I will let it be for a couple of weeks before I repot it. Is it best to repot it in "cactus prepared soil" available at our local hardware? Is there such a thing as cactus fertilizers and should I use them or will my regular 20-20-20 miracle grow do the trick? Basically, how do I properly look after this huge heirloom beautiful plant? My mother said it didn't flower much this fall (2005) but was in full bloom the previous fall (2004). Anyhow, also, is it an Easter cactus? This big one has "rounded" scalloped edges whereas a clipping I got a few months back of pretty much the same plant but with "spiked" scalloped edges. A quick google image search says this big beauty is an Easter Cactus and the "spiked" one is the Christmas cactus. I'm sure there have been a kazillion debates on this one!! What do you pros think?

Thanks for all your help.

Jo

Image link:

Comments (2)

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Jo,

I don't know these species very well, but the one that flowers in spring earned the name Easter Cactus (Hatiora gaertneri?), while the one that blooms in the fall has been called Christmas Cactus, Thanksgiving Cactus, and now the politically correct and inert "Holiday Cactus"... and there may be more than one species involved here as well as numerous hybrids.

One species flowers in response to longer days (Easter), while the other one flowers as days get shorter (Thanksgiving and Christmas). The fall/winter bloomer initiates flower buds in the fall in response to shorter days, drier conditions, and cooler temperatures, so if you protect it from all these stimuli it probably won't flower. It may require a long dark period, or no lights at night. Commercial growers quit watering them for about a month around Sept/Oct (they start to look like they are dying as they shrivel up) and also expose them to cooler night temps perhaps in the 50's F. After the dry period they resume normal watering. I don't think much fertilizer would be required at this stage. Buds should start to appear soon thereafter.

Forget about cactus soil for these types of cactus. Treat them like a tropical foliage plant during the growing season, and yes the Miracle Gro 20-20-20 is fine, and do not let them stay too dry. I would also recommend using the Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix for this type of cactus. It's an excellent soil mix and zygocactus/schlumbergera/hatiora should do well in it.

BTW you are right about being careful with an old plant like yours. Most plants, like most people, adapt to changes easier when they are younger. I would wait for springtime and better growing conditions before repotting it.

Hope this helps!

Peyton

• jeromej13
    18 years ago

Ladynine, what you have here is a real "old style" Christmas Cactus. It should normally flower during the winter. Easter Cactus (Hatiora Gaertneri) looks different, you'll find pictures on the Web. I would suggest taking cuttings later this year, as insurance.

HTH

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County