Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_harris_gw

The buzz

jeffrey_harris
18 years ago

Yes, even on a holiday, the bee is working it, see here on the flowers of the nude form of Kalanchoe beharensis:

{{gwi:464725}}

Comments (13)

• fishies
    18 years ago

So THAT'S the buzz...
    Great. Now I'm singing JCSuperstar.

Jeffrey, I poked around your McHarris photo album (snoopy-loopy), and I've got to say - your aloes are absolutely stunning. Before seeing your album, I really only had a thing for A. Marlotthii. Now I'm a goner for them all. If I get aloes this season, will you teach me to not kill them?

Shelly

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Nude? As in hairless???
    Didn't know there was one - how about a photo...
    Thanks
    Peyton
    BTW nice flowers on that thing

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shelly,

Sleep and I shall soothe you, calm you, and anoint you.
    Myrrh for your hot forehead, oh.
    Then you'll feel
    Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine.
    And it's cool, and the ointment's sweet
    For the fire in your head and feet.
    Close your eyes, close your eyes
    And relax, think of nothing tonight.

As you see in the above stanza, Mary is advocating succulence - myrrh, as you know, comes from either the Commiphora or Boswellia trees, both of them succulent caudiciforms. Frankincense comes from the other.

Yes, of course, I'll teach you not to kill them, but I'm not sure that I can teach you anything you don't already know! Much obliged for the kind words.

Grandmaster P,

Yes, that's it precisely - nude, as in without fuzz, fuzzless, fuzzfree....

And here you go - not the best photo, but I didn't know that you would be asking for one. Otherwise.....

It's about 4' tall.
    {{gwi:464727}}

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shelly,

Here's a link that will tell you more about frankincense and myrrh.

And as an aside, I am postively incensed with succulent passion that Ottawa isn't allowing you a suitable climate for Aloes.

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder why the above link didn't work???

My HTML skills are that of an aardvark, I reckon.

Does is appear

HERE?

Here is a link that might be useful: Something Smells with Boswellia and Commiphora

• fishies
    18 years ago

I *love* the frankincense and myrrh link!

But you know, Tim Rice got that bit all wrong - it wasn't myrrh. Rumour has it that it was Spikenard (Nardostachys Jatamansi) that was used.

One of the silly little things you pick up in school these days :)

S.

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Sir Jeffrey,

Thanks for the pic, and it DOES look rather bare naked, poor thing...

Peyton

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

While we're comparing beharensises (beharensi? beharensae?):

{{gwi:464735}}

It's not nude, but I'm kind of proud - I've never gotten leaves this big (12" long) before!

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Nice one!
    Peyton

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

Jeff: My K.b. nudum grew from a leaf of yours and is now maybe 2/3rds the height of its parent, so I'll be looking forward to its getting equally interesting blooms. Love those stripes! How much sun does it need to be persuaded to do that?

Nice planting, Patrick. Is that K.b. 'Maltese Cross?' I think I have one that may be MC. Others showing signs of wanting to grow really big are nudum, just plain K. beharensis, and --to a lesser extent, Fang. After seeing Jeff's and your beharenses (beharensises?), I feel the urge to do some measuring. These are the first big Kals I have had and their size surprises me. I may have to reconsider where I have planted them. What is the greatest height they can reach?

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

biwako, I have another one that is 4 ft. x 4 ft. I've seen them other places quite a bit taller, but quite lanky, where mine is nicely branched.

The one in the photo was just put in that pot about a year ago. It gets pampered quite a lot, being right next to my front door, hence the exceptionally large leaves. I don't think it had a specific cultivar name when I got it.

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Patrick,

That's (I believe) one of the true forms of Kalanchoe beharensis. Here's one of mine (from a part of the yard that gets no sun now):
    {{gwi:464729}}

Dear Bisan,

It's in full morning sun.

• vilcat
    18 years ago

Boy, you people in the warm states sure make me jealous.
    I'm here watching the snow fly outside dreaming of spring, and all of the repotting I'll do. I did just get a few plants in the mail today that made me happy. One of the plants is Cat's Whiskers, I love cats and I love plants, so a plant with a "cat" name is just what I'm looking for, granted it's no succulent, but hey what can I say.

Kathy

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County