Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borrego_gw

Unknown Tree Aloe

borrego
18 years ago

Can anyone identify this recently acquired tree aloe? Peyton, Patrick, Jeff, you have your work cut out for you on this one. Any help with it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I can wait 5-10 years for it to flower so it can be identified.......

Image link:

Comments (7)

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Man, that's a tough one - looks like it was rode hard and put up wet - kinda rough looking...
    I would say post a fresh pic after the rosette has put on some healthy new growth...
    Sorry I'm no help on this one.
    Peyton

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Where do you GET these poor things? This is just so sad! You are a kind soul for taking in these plants that not even a mother could love - you must really enjoy a challenge!

If I had to make a guess, I would say A. barberae (formerly bainesii), but I really have nothing to base that on apart from the long, narrow leaves. I agree with Peyton, you're gonna have to wait until this one puts on a little more healthy growth - or even blooms.

• borrego
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patrick - I went to a recent plant sale of an esteemed local collector who was in ill health and finally passed away. While he was ill, his collection was not taken care of. This is one of many aloes I purchased from his collection. I have all ready seen signs of good growth on several of the plants even though it has been less than a month since the sale and we are in winterlike conditions. I do not believe it is a bainesii. I also got a pot with 17 bainesii seedlings from the sale. Just last week I bought a 30" tall bainesii from a nursery. The growth is just not upright enough for a bainesii. I was thinking maybe helenae or thraskii.....

• rpw53
    18 years ago

My first impression was bainsii, but then I thought the leaves were too short, too lax, too wide, etc, so on second thought I discounted the bainsii idea, but still hard to tell...
    Peyton

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

It may be an underwatered-and-overstressed Aloe sabaea. The form is correct, but not the color (usually a light green, but that could be due to the stressed conditions).

• borrego
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeff - if it is underwatered and overstressed, it is now located at Aloe Rest Recuperate and Rejuvenate Gardens, also known as my backyard. Should it be in shade at this point or half day sun? Aloe Sabea? I'll keep my fingers crossed..........

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

In its native Arabian Peninsula, it's in full sun, Borrego. I'd keep it in full sun, but give it just a little water until Spring. This isn't prime-time for it to grow.

And it's Aloe sabaea - that's my best guess, though it may be wrong.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths