Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vilcat

Looking for...

vilcat
18 years ago

I am looking for an Albuca spiralis, anyone know where to get one? It's a South African succulent bulb with tightly spiralled leaves. It flowers in late summer with pendulous, greenish flowers. I saw a picture of one and fell in love....again.

Kathy

Comments (6)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Check ebay. I'm serious. I've bought many many cacti/succulents there, all big & healthy. If you get one there be sure they include a heat pack w/your order in this weather. Good luck!

Jen

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Not to rub it in, Kathy, but I have three. I think they're actually winter/early spring bloomers, because mine are all in flower right now. That makes more sense than summer, because they would naturally break their summer dormancy and bloom with winter rains... although they're evergreen, unlike most South Africans, so who knows?

I'm sure there's a mail-order source somewhere, but if you strike out, they appear fairly regularly for sale at the spring C&S sales out here. If you can wait that long, remind me and I'll look for one for you at the Huntington Botanic Garden's plant sale in May. It's the mother of all plant sales; if a plant's not there, it's not anywhere.

• vilcat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Patrick,
    I may take you up on that plant sale. It is pretty hard to find decent plants up here where I live. I get most online.
    The late summer flowering thing is what I read in my succulent book, I know you can't always believe what you read! I go with personal experience (or someone else's experience) over what I read anytime. I know a lot of my plants do things differently than the books say.
    Thanks again for the info, and thanks for your help on IDing my plants in my other posts.

Kathy

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Miles2go has it in their online catalog...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:464872}}

• Denise
    18 years ago

Shoal Creed Succulents also has them. They're in the process of moving and will re-open this spring.

Denise in Omaha

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Kathy,

I'd suggest ordering from either SCS or Miles2Go - they're definitely both reputable, and, FWIW, a number of people here can personally vouch for them, this writer included.

From my extremely limited experience, Ebay plants (the few succulent ones that I've seen) are overpriced - but then again, I'm used to the prices out here.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions