Houzz Logo Print
ginamarina101

ID Please, can't save g-grandma's cactus :(

ginamarina
17 years ago

{{gwi:464987}}

{{gwi:464991}}

{{gwi:464995}}

I know these are dead. (click for larger pic) They were obviously green, a pretty darkish green, with a little more body to them. The last one is what I've been trying desperately to root for about a year now, and I realize that they just aren't going to. :-(

I had a long shallow pot full of these, and a big clump in the pot in the photo. If you wanted to start a new one, you just gently pulled on one and it would come out. The sections were each about the width of my thumb, and tapered on the bottom. It never grew tall, just spread, and it bloomed quite often - I *think* the blooms were pink/magenta. part of me thinks they were yellow, but I think pink. very fine leafed petals. And they weren't very big - maybe 1cm wide fully open max. The pickers were not bent, but if you handled the pieces very gingerly you could move it without getting stuck, but using a utensil was safer. Even the dead ones I was able to pick up without getting stuck.

This cactus belonged to my great grandma and I loved it, it was always overflowing the pot, and now I can't find any or anyone who I ever gave some to alive :-( I loved this little cactus. The pieces of it were not rigid, they would separate easily and didn't have a big root system. The ruler is in cm.

thank you for any help.

Gina

Comments (3)