Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pedro_cap42

New cacti. ID needed

pedro_cap42
18 years ago

I went to wal mart the other day and was surprised at there selection of cacti, they had a bunch of babys for a buck!! im gonna go there this week and go crazy. any ways i bought this nice one and i was wondering what it was.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I may get this one wrong and if I do I expect I will be corrected. But to me it looks like D. flagelliformis also know as Rattail Cactus.

Lets see what the people who know about C&S have to say.

:0)

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Pedro,
    Looks very much like Hildewintera aureispina (Cleistocactus wintera). If over 1/2" diameter, then yes this is what it is. Usually Aporophyllum flagilliforis is very thin and not well defined ribs.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• fishies
    18 years ago

Aporocactus flagelliformis is my guess.

MBT - what is the "D" in D. flagelliformis?

Shelly

• steve_nz
    18 years ago

Cleistocactus samaipatanus is also a possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Hey Steve,
    Cleistocactus samaipatanus is a good guess, but usually are much thicker than that. Aporocactus is much thinner and really doesn't have straight ribs.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:465714}}

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Shelly,

The D is for Disocactus. The plant looked like a rattail cactus to me so I did a searh and came up with this;

Disocactus flagelliformis

Common Name(s): Rattail Cactus
    Synonym(s): Cactus flagelliformis, Cereus flagelliformis, Aporocactus flagelliformis, Cereus leptophis, Aporocactus flagriformis

But it looks like Dan got this one right. Dan I don't know if you look at C&S in big box stores, but I keep seeing something that looks like Hildewintera aureispina grafted onto some stock. They're usually about 4 cones in a clump not longer than 2 inches. Is that what those are?

Here is a link that might be useful: CactiGuide.com

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Look for C&S at big box stores??? Of course I do!!! I even make WalMart and Home Depot a destination for my walks. I think I know what you are talking about, I've never seen H. wintera as grafts, usually those that look like that are either Chamaecereus silvestrii (Echinopsis silvestrii) or a yellow mutation there of. Need to remember, when grafts are on Hylocereus (three angled stock), they usually will grow disproportionately long. I like using Myrtillocactus or Cereus for grafting stock, they are stronger and keep the scions a little more stocky.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 yr old Carnegiea gigantea on Myrtillocactus geometrizans

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

LOL Dan, I guess that was a dumb question. But I figured I should ask because I saw this guy in Borders with a T Shirt that read; "As me about Cacti." So I did and when he found out that I bought them at HD and Walmart he looked as if I had told him I drank wine out of a box and bought caviar from a vending machine. Apparently he was a "serious" collector.

I think you're right about the Chamaecereus silvestrii. I just googled them and they look like them. I think I may end up getting one, the ones I see at my Menards are the brightest yellow I've ever seen. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
Kelly Marino Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars37 Reviews
Award Winning & Professional Interior Design Services in Virginia