Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Kiss My Grass Aloes - They Need Help

Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 30, 06 at 2:31

I do not fancy myself to be an aloe collector, rather an aloe "acquirer". I guesstimate between 50-60 different species, including hybrids. I find it more than coincidental the only two grass aloes I have have seen better days. The aloe wildii on the left is brownish, but is sending up a flower stalk. A last act of survival desperation? The scrawny aloe boweia on the right just got knocked over by the raccoons this evening and broke the pot, revealing a mediocre root system. I would like to know if there is something special I should be doing for these. Complete shade? Filtered sun? Special soil considerations? The other aloes I have are doing well, just wondering if there is something I am doing wrong with the grass aloes.

Image link: Please Kiss My Grass Aloes - They Need Help (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Kiss My Grass Aloes - They Need Help

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 15:11

I'm unimpressed with your choice of titles. I had to spend about five minutes explaining to my daughter that some people probably indulge in 1 too many adult beverages at night or forget that kids on occasion are fascinated by these kinds of plants and enjoy looking at the pictures.

randy

o

Rick

When your daughter has a skinned knee, have you never said," let me kiss your boo boo, or owee to make it better?" Since Borrego's aloes are ailing maybe that was the intent, and you are reading too much into it? Even if the title meant what you think it did, she would have never known. Lighten up.

o

Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 17:26

Rick?

I guess your right. I'll lighten up:-).

rick

o

Ooops!

My apologies, Randy. ;-)

Scott

(Where did Rick come from? I must have had a brain freeze)LOL

o

Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 18:07

That's ok Scott. It gave me a little comic relief. Today has been a little tense.

randy

o

The plant on the left looks like it is getting too much sun or it was acclimated to full sun too fast? It also looks a bit dehydrated to me. I can't tell much about the second plant from the pic but A. bobiea typically doesn't look like much anyway. It is probably one of the most unattractive of the grass Aloes. They both look overpotted. They do better and are more likely to offset when rootbound.

What conditions have they been grown in?

You can always pack them up and send them to me...
Gil...
Gil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here