Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black spots

Posted by metamog SW Sweden (metamog@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 7:12

I have a serious problem with my cacti: there are black spots spreading. I've attached a photo to illustrate what I mean (I bought one cactus once, that had some black spots, I thought that it wasn't serious but now it's spreading).

Does anyone know anything about this problem? Do I need to cut black parts, or do I need to destroy these cacti?

Morgan

Image link: black spots (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black spots

Sounds like rot!Hard to see in the pic.Cutting it out is always best and some of my books suggest unpotting and letting the roots dry and checking the roots for rot as well.Maybe your overwatering all your cactus at the moment?I'm sure some of the pro's will chime in.Check this link out.Doesn't have to be a saguaro.

Here is a link that might be useful: rot handling

o

I know this may sound weird, but it could be snails doing the damage. I picked up this notocactus at lowe's and it had a few black spots just like yours on it, and slime trails. There was a snail crawling on it. If I'm correct, I think I see some slime on the cactus behind the big middle one? I'd check the soil, and all the plants, you may need to repot. Just pick the snails off when you see them. I'm not sure if the garden snail/slug killer they sell in stores is safe for cacti & succulents. Good luck!

Jen

o

thank you for your help!

It is some kind of rot. No snails, since I have it indoors.

It's been spreading from one plant to around 10 plants. some took only 2 days to develop dark black spots, from originally pure healthy plants.

This is a real nightmare.

I have ordered surgical instruments at our local pharmacy.

Morgan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here