The Aloe from Hell!

greenlarry
18 years ago

I just LOVE this pant-Aloe aculeata!

{{gwi:66450}}

Comments (14)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Looks like something from down under! lol Quite unusual.

Jen

• rodiq
    18 years ago

We can see the reason why you love it!

Rodica

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

I love it, too. The color and the thorns--it is beautiful. You could lease it out for science fiction movies!

• proper_gait
    18 years ago

I've gotta get me one of those!!!!AWESOME!!

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Oh how cool.

I keep seeing some aloes with that growth habit and nasty spines like that and I keep resisting bringing one home because I'm just not good with spikey things around.

Thanks for sharing that pic.

• Denise
    18 years ago

I got this one myself about a year ago. I'm not into the prickly plants, either, but there's something about a toothy Aloe that makes it worth the risk!

Denise in Omaha

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

wicked!

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Larry,

Nice color and spines!
    Since nobody else has mentioned it, I hope you have watered it - that poor thing is drastically dried out.
    It was probably like that when you received it, but there is no reason to let this aloe get that dry... unless you really want to get that shriveled look and purple color I guess.

Here's what it looks like in the ground after plenty of winter (and spring!) rains...

Peyton

{{gwi:466043}}

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Larry.

Congrats on getting an aculeata. I love mine! Peyton is right, though...PLEASE give it a drink!

Peyton...thanks for posting yours. I was starting to think that I needed to re-think the ID on mine, but it looks just like yours. Do you know what kind of cold tolerance it has? I just want to know when I should put it outside.

Kate

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Larry.

Congrats on getting an aculeata. I love mine! Peyton is right, though...PLEASE give it a drink!

Peyton...thanks for posting yours. I was starting to think that I needed to re-think the ID on mine, but it looks just like yours. Do you know what kind of cold tolerance it has? I just want to know when I should put it outside.

Kate

• fishies
    18 years ago

It couldn't have gotten that brown from lack of water, could it? I thought it was a variant colouring or something. Wouldn't the plant have to be DEAD to get that brown?

Shelly

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Kate,

If it has been indoors all winter, it probably will get cold damage if exposed to a frost or a freeze now. If it is grown outdoors like mine, then it will take down to freezing ok... below that I don't know...

Peyton

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Shelly,

I think it is that color from extreme stress due to lack of water, though cool temps could also play a role. I have also seen aloes turn that color from root rot or stem rot, which has the same effect as lack of water. Death would be the next step here if it does not receive water, though it could hang on for a long time...

Peyton

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wuld think the coliur os due to sun exposure, my aloe juvenna turned from the unsual green when grown indoors to a deep red/brown after intense sun exposure.

Not to worry guys, I did give it a good watering ,well, I soaked the plant while preparijg its pot, my usual practice with succulents.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!