Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anya_101

ID needed.. possibly Euphorbia?

anya_101
18 years ago

Can someone I D this for me please?

Saw it, had to have it... imagine that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Euphorbia?

Comments (11)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Hi Rose,

I'd say that that plant has areoles, and if you have areoles...well, if your plant has areoles, you have to have a cactus, right?

Maybe a Harrisia of some nonspecified species?

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Wow, Rose...that's a confusing one! Jeff's right, it has areoles (or seems to), but it sure looks like a Euphorbia to me, too. Good luck! Whatever it is, it's pretty. Can't wait to see what it really is!

Kate

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Actually, I think it is a euphorbia. There is a group of euphorbs that have areole-ish growths, along with those tell-tale pairs of short spines. I wish I could tell more, but I can't find an exact photo match in my books. I look forward to others (with more expertise than me) weighing in...

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Well, Rose, you're going to have to be Our Woman in The Testing Field - slice into a stem and tell us what you find....

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Rose,
    you'll certainly find white sap. Your plant is Euphorbia knuthii.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia knuthii

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Anya,
    Look at the roots and if you have some tubers down there, I'd say Euphorbia knuthii. When I had mine, I'd lift the plant about every two years to expose more root, at one point I had that jumble of roots almost 10" high.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Whatever it turns out to be, I should never, EVER try to identify plants in the morning before having coffee.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I know I know, its Euphorbia cactiformis! ;)

• anya_101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Larry......
    Ok everyone, I have taken a small cut and it does have all that wonderfully poisonous milk sap. It is growing rather spread out in the pot, so will also check on that root situation just to see. I thank you all for the input and will get back to you about the root system.

Frank, if it does have that root mass like in the photo's you have provided, should I slowly bring up the root ball to be exposed?
    At least for now, it has a name! : )
    Thanks again to all.
    Rose

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Rose,
    there may be other opinions but in my experience the root caudex develops better if grown underground in a deep pot for a long while. When of certain size you then may expose it.

By the way, if the branches become grayish and pendant after some years it's a good idea to cut them all off. The remaining motherplant, well watered, fertilised and placed in full sun after the pruning, soon looks particularly nice when crowned by a number of colourful, fresh and erect shoots. (That's one of the tricks used to win a prize at a c&s exhibition.) The cuttings taken soon build new caudices.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• anya_101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah, ok Frank, I will follow your instructions. Thanks again for all the advice.

Rose

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals