Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadegarden_gw

Bed of aloes

jadegarden
18 years ago

I posted this in the Discussion forum but now think I should have put it here in the Gallery.

I have been working on creating an "aloe bed" in my garden. This is what I have done so far.

I have aloes, gasterias, and maybe haworthias (sanseveria too) - none are identified except the aloe vera.

{{gwi:466118}}

I got these new aloes (brevifolia, striata, ferox, and some hybrids) and have potted them up into 4" pots for the time being.

{{gwi:466119}}

Does anyone have any ideas on when it is best to put them into the ground? Is it better to put them out now - or to wait until they are larger?

Any help will be appreciated becasue I have very little experience with aloes - but seeing all those postings of beautiful aloes finally got the better of me.

Comments (6)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

It would be best to put them in the ground in the Spring, the beginning of most Aloes' growing season.

If you have very good drainage, I'd put them all in the ground.

Looking at your first pic reminded me of a mistake I made. These plants quickly overgrow their areas, given sun, ample water and heat. I'd be careful how many of any particular species I put in the ground, unless you plan on being to plant them out in large areas.

Plants almost always grow better in the ground rather than in the pot, though young ones and cuttings may better be served in a pot, at least until they're established/older.

• jadegarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeff,

Thanks for letting me know that I made a mistake. The problem is, if I leave too much empty space, the dogs get in and start digging like crazy. Several plants didn't survive my first effort and I've had the area under mesh since then.

So far I just have one of each species in the ground (except for the aloe vera) and don't plan on more than that. How hard is it to thin out the plants if/when they get crowded? I have more space in the backyard (some sunny, some shaded) but haven't started putting any plants around there yet (I think they need to be more mature for greater neglect - correct me if I'm wrong).

The area I'm working with now is semi-shaded, and the plants don't get much water unless it rains - right now we're in a drought awaiting the rainy season in April-May. When would spring be? My seasons are hot/rainy and hot/dry with slightly cooler weather in December and January.

I know aloes are pretty hardy but I'm still afraid I will kill them if I treat them like cacti.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Nice bunch of Aloes!
    Is that bluish one peglerae, second pic, bottom right?

• jadegarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Larry. I hope they continue to do well.

It came labelled as brevifolia.

• space_turtle
    17 years ago

hi there.
    i'm sure the people who were reading this thread 4 years ago probably won't read this, but hey, i just joined this thing JUST NOW, so i have no idea how this posting deal works yet.
    i've just spent about an hour searching google images for a picture of this aloe that i have, and the only one i found that looked like it was actually the same one, as opposed to one with spots or one that is the same only smaller, is labelled as brevifolia, just as you said that blue one was when you got it. only thing is, mine's not blue, nor is the one in this picture.
    does anyone out there know their aloes? i can't seem to find two sources that say the same thing, and i'm finding it even harder to find this particular aloe. it looks like you've got one right in the middle of the bottom photo up there..

so which one is brevifolia?
    and is this one i have RARE or something, or is it only scarce on the web because nobody's interested in it...? I certainly am. heh..

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe, right?

• rjm710
    17 years ago

The picture you posted looks more like A. nobilis. There is a brevifolia in picture #2 at the top of this post, at about 5 o'clock.