Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is my aloe trying to tell me?

Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 10:38

My limited aloe knowledge indicates to me curling leaves = problems with the roots. Probably lack of water. However, I fear soil compaction. The 1 gallon container this is in feels like it is filled with cement, it is very heavy. Leaves look a little dehydrated as well, as if water is not percolating through the soil to the roots. Color is normal for this plant. I just purchased this aloe from the Granite Hills Nursery, where they have this growing in the ground. Plant offsets where the flower stalk branches, a new pup will grow at the fork. Strange. Anyone who can properly identify this probable hybrid aloe should gain instant aloe stud status.

Image link: What is my aloe trying to tell me? (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is my aloe trying to tell me?

Is that fleurentinorum? The purple colour makes me think of that one.

And when you say the soil is like cement I cant help thinking that the soil is so compacted that the plant is having difficulty taking up water.
Maybe a repot into better draining soil?

o

In the 4 days since I have repotted this, it is greening up an bit and has uncurled it leaves some. It has endured a day of rain. It is not a fleurentinorum, although I can easily see where the comparison could be made. I have been told one of the southern California's foremost aloe experts, Kelly Griffin, has not been able to identify it..........

o

it is a beautiful color! let us know if you get a proper id .
jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here