Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black marks on cactus - Is this scale or something else?

Posted by gemcap none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 14:08

I have a couple of cactus which have these black "marks". I first thought they were on account of sun burn - but they have grown / spread a bit in the last couple of months. (Photo attached) I manually prised them out using a toothpick. They come off quite easily though a fleshy impact in the cactus is visible.

They are not flat and appear to have a kind of "hook" into the cactus to feed off it. (Photo attached)

Is this scale or some other pest? Will it jump to other cactus. Other than manual removal, what other remedies would you recommend.

Many thanks for your assistance?

Image link: Black marks on cactus - Is this scale or something else? (43 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black marks on cactus - Is this scale or something else?

I'm pretty sure it's scale. If it's been continuing to spread over the cactus, it is very likely this is a scale infestation. I have a cactus which had scale, and those lesions on the skin of your plant look just like the one I had. Luckily, I only had one scale insect to deal with, but I would definitely use a chemical approach to this problem. Physically removing the scale is a great step, but the adults will quickly produce offsping and you'll have another batch of scale on the way.

I really hope that your plant gets well!
Just keep up the treatments and you'll be fine!!

o

That is definitely scale.

Scale, like mealybugs, quickly move from plant to plant. Make sure you isolate!

o

If it's a small amount of scale, take a Q-tip or something small and dip it in rubbing alcohol and dab it on each scale to get them wet. This will kill the scale and them you can gently scrape them off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here