Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactus_kate

You've heard of a starter home...

cactus_kate
18 years ago

Hi, all.

I just set this thing up yesterday, and last night, I heated it with 2 shrine candles (you know, the ones in the glass tube you get for a dollar in the 'international foods' section of the supermarket). The 2 candles kept it at 60 degrees all night, even though the low last night was 40 degrees outside the little 'greenhouse'. I had only put 2 Opuntias in it, just in case, but I was pleased with the results! By fall, I am hoping to have a REAL greenhouse, but this will do for now.

Kate

{{gwi:467342}}

Comments (9)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Very cool, kept alive by candles!!

You know thats a slightly odd picture, you have daffodils alongside a Opuntia(choola?), so a mix of Old England and the New World!

• cactus_kate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Larry...and so few daffodils this year! Last year, there were at least twice as many. I am disappointed with the daffodil crop. I think they know that the bed they're living in is going to become a cactus bed later this spring.

Kate

• ooojen
    18 years ago

That's great! Wish I could get away with that, but it'd take a flame-thrower to heat it here (10 F this morning- wind chills well below 0). Another 6 weeks or so for me.

• baci
    18 years ago

Your setup & plants look great, but an unmonitored candle could be a problem. What about a light bulb? If a wild animal knocks over your setup at night, the dried plant material on the ground could quickly catch fire & spread.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi kate! it's always exciting for me when i get to put my plants outside for the year...
    have you considered a string of white xmas lights? you can get them at the dollar tree sometimes, and they provide some warmth. of course, then you have to find a place to plug them in...what kind of greenhouse will you get? lucky you!

-ming

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Hi Kate,

Pretty creative set up you thought of. I know someone already mentioned the possibility of a fire hazard so I won't go there...but I just wanted to post because your candle idea reminded me of another thread I read elsewhere. Someone was using Xmas lights as a heat source in their green house. May be something you could try?

Good luck.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Kate, could it be too hot a locale for the daffs there in full sun?(South facing right)

I would think they do better in a shadier cooler spot- they do well in England thats for sure! ;)

• cactus_kate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Larry, this is a South-West facing bed. It gets beautiful full sun year-round from about 9 am to 4 or 5 pm. Maybe you're right...too much heat and sun. I will be relocating them to the back yard in about a month, after everything is done blooming. As mentioned earlier, I am planning to turn their bed into a hardy cactus and Agave bed.

Kate

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

They do well in a woodland setting, under trees or shrubs, which is how they grow in their native England.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington