Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia mammallaris variegata in bloom

Posted by biwako_of_abi San Diego (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 17:15

I took this picture about two months ago. When I first got the plant, nearly four years ago, I wasn't sure how much sun to give it, since it doesn't have much chlorophyll, but it has been flourishing in the ground where it gets sun up till around 2:00 in the summer, but less in the winter.

Image link: Euphorbia mammallaris variegata in bloom (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE:: Euphorbia mammallaris variegata in bloom

Yes, I know, the weeds are shameful!

o
RE: Euphorbia mammallaris variegata in bloom

How exciting. Now if only I can get mine to do that.

Dawn

o

It happened over quite a period of time while the plant was being shamefully neglected. Every so often I would notice it and think, Hmm, it's growing pups, or Nice color coming in, I really ought to weed it. But benign neglect can do wonders, as most of us here have found out. It helps to live in the San Diego area, too!

o

My mammillaris variegata is also just starting to flower.

I don't think benign neglect includes not removing weeds! I admit sometimes justifying not pulling weeds when I first see them by concluding that they will only help pull moisture out of the bed faster. That's a good thing, no?

The top dressing in my garden (1/2 inch stone) seems to discourage most unwanted greenery ;)

o

Para: I didn't think about the distinction between "shameful neglect" and "benign neglect" and sort of claimed both, but thanks to that hint about pulling moisture out of the bed (which gave me an "Aha" moment--YES! It's the same principle that keeps us from over-potting our cacti!), maybe I will purposely leave more weeds in with my plants from now on! The ones in my main succulent bed have to put up with all getting the same amount of water from the sprinkler system, so weeds just might be lifesavers for some that are prone to rot. Now see what you've done! Now I have an excuse to stop weeding altogether. lol
I am definitely planning to look for Salmon Bay gravel because I like the looks of it in your garden so much, but haven't had a chance to visit Hansen Aggregates recently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here