Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_harris_gw

Separate Super Bums for Shelly

jeffrey_harris
18 years ago

Shelly had noted, in a previous post, that, in the case of Super Bum versus Super Bum, her imagination was running away with her.

As the most minute token of my esteem for her, as well as perhaps reining in that imagination long enough to allow her to grade the papers she has admitted (in a deposition made here in Succulent Court) she needs to do, I offer her pictures of some other Super Bums, growing a bit differently than that one pictured in a pot.

Here is one multi-headed plant that's in the ground - the sun is just starting to creep over to that side of the yard, yet the plant has maintained its washed-out lilac coloring.

{{gwi:467801}}

{{gwi:467802}}

And here is one picture of two plants that have generated from the fallen leaves of the previously-pictured potted plant.

{{gwi:467803}}

One can say, with all sincerity, that one simply cannot have enough of that Super Bum.

Comments (9)

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

very nice plants, jeff. in the last pic, what is that red aloe (??)? jo

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Jeff.

Thanks for the pics of these guys. I was a little worried about mine, but I looked at it the other day, and though the top head doesn't look as great as it could, there is a new head starting at the bottom! I was very excited about this, as it means that it's actually growing! Here it is, in all its glory.

Kate

{{gwi:467807}}

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

I prefer the term Superb, um.

Jeffrey, those are looking more colorful than the potted version you showed before. It's great to see your plants in the ground. I see you also endorse the benign-neglect strategy of allowing adventitious plant growth to augment the drainage of your soil. Weeds are good, no?

Kate, your plant(s) are looking healthy. Give em lots of light, and a little love.

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Jo,

I think that it's a very much underpotted and underwatered A. myriostigma, but I'll check on that.

Dear Kate,

Might your Super Bum be overpotted? It does look healthy, and maybe your picture is playing tricks on my perspective, but it looks like there's just too much pot there. I've found that members of the Crassulaceae like their growing conditions a little, how shall we say, constrained. Since you've done such an outrageously-and-stunningly fabulous job with that Fockea.......

Dear Brad,

It's just laziness, pure and simple, but now that you put a nice name on it, yes, I agree absolutely.

• fishies
    18 years ago

Do these bums have super-bum super-powers? Because if they don't have super-bum super-powers, I've got a stack of midterms that need some red ink.

Lovely plants, Jeffrey - thanks for showing!

Shelly

• fishies
    18 years ago

Kate - yours looks kind of like a mini palm tree :) Like a palm tree for barbie!!! I like.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Kate,I kinda like them with the stem exposed like that,look rather cool! Like a caudex plant!

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Jeff.

I repotted (downsized) said Super Bum, and it's giving me a big "thank you" by growing nicely. The little new head at the base is much bigger and prettier (see below), and there is yet another head coming up from the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion to put it in a smaller pot!

Kate

{{gwi:467809}}

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

What a superb um he's got!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!