Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calla_lady

Looking for an ID...........

calla_lady
18 years ago

I found this curious Sempervivum hiding behind a bunch of other plants at a nursery. Both the owner of the nursery and I could never remember seeing a sempervivum growing like this. It is about 5" tall and each of the rosettes have a large base and grow at the end of a "branch". Seems odd for a Semp.

{{gwi:467816}}

It even has a crested area -

{{gwi:467817}}

It is not as webby as it looks - it was covered with old spider webs, I picked off what I could but some remain. However it does have a bit of it's own webbing in the center of each rosette.

I think that I am going to do a bit of trimming to bring out it's tree-like look and pot it up in a bonsai pot. I would love it if anybody out there might have a name to go with it.

Thank you in advance, Alicia :~)

Comments (9)

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh well,,, it was worth a try!

I was stuck on hold today for a very long time so while I waited I sifted through ALL of the Google image search pages (there is a bunch!) and never saw anything remotely like this one in form. Weird!

Thanks again, Alicia

• hablu
    18 years ago

Perhaps a Sempervivum arachnoidum - an old one searching for more light. greetz Hablu

• robcacti
    18 years ago

It is not arachnoideum. Perhaps a hybrid. I love the cristata piece.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

calla_lady,

I have no idea what it is..but it sure is neat. Maybe someone will come along that does know and you'll get an id.

• fishies
    18 years ago

Well, whatever it is, it's definitely one of the funkier things known to man or beast. Very cool plant, Alicia.

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! I did not realize that anybody else had posted to this thread, I have not gotten any emails, and it has been a busy week around here (not much computer time).

Yep, I think it's pretty neat and funky too. I have had it by my back door (which I am in and out of all day) and have been enjoying it. Been contemplating removing the crested area and potting it up separately since it is pretty crowded.

I think Semps are difficult to identify because there are so many hybrids and their characteristics can very so much in different conditions. A few years back I made myself crazy trying to ID some of my noids, lol.

Alicia :)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hey alicia,
    i've been watching your post to see if anyone could ID this for you. i really think this has some arachnoideum in it, but have you tried emailing a pic to the folks at squaw mountain gardens? that yaquina nursery i told you about on the coast in oregon had a whole flat of semps in a forgotten corner that had similar coloring/size. they weren't crested, but they were obviously really old because some of them had woody stems.
    anyways, i love semps and what a cool score!

-ming

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey back at you Ming! good to hear from you :~). I agree whatever this little gem is it surely has some arachnoideum in it.
    Excellent idea about emailing Squaw Mountain, worth a try.
    Of course this means that while I am there I'll have to cruise their website,,, dangerous thing to do! Especially since I've been hitting the local arboretum sales hard. I'll just have to be strong! lol....Yeah,,,right!

Alicia :~)

• baldric
    18 years ago

Dear Calla Lady,

Repot it by all means , but don't remove a thing.It seems unique.

I have seen a cristated semperviviam and I have also seen a single sempervivium on a stem.... but I can't remember where.

Why not wait and see the whole chimeria several years on ... what a conversation piece that would be.

Yours Truly

Baldric

Ps I will try to find the afore mentioned oddities , if I do I will let you know